cooker trips CDC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What make and model of oven was the old one ?

Most likely the oven element is permanently attached to a circuit board that is powered up when you switch the oven on.

Which incorporates the on/off, temp, and timer functions, rather than a simple switch.

So if the element is starting to fail, it may short out that board and trip your RCD.
ok thanks I will look at that
this does not look like a UK set-up, all the blacks and blues ( I never knew that is what a RCD was called a CDC/differential circuit breaker) the Double pole MCB's will help find the fault,
are the hob and oven on the same MCB?
well spotted, it is a Spanish set up. Both the cooker and the hob are connected together to the same mcb

ok thanks I will set about dehumidifying it.
if you turn off the other circuits on that RCD you may be able to just turn the oven on at a very heat low setting. If that works leave it for about half an hour to warm up, then increase the temperature again etc etc until you can full blast it.

I had a fault the other week where pretty much anything being switched on in the kitchen would trip the RCD (cooker, kettle and even the fridge),,,, I tracked the fault down pretty quickly using proper fault finding techniques,,,, there was a trapped neutral conductor behind a socket in the hallway (on a different circuit)

if you turn off the other circuits on that RCD you may be able to just turn the oven on at a very heat low setting. If that works leave it for about half an hour to warm up, then increase the temperature again etc etc until you can full blast it.
thanks I'll give it a try