Cordless Angle Grinders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I'm on the lookout for an 18v li-ion cordless grinder for chopping boxes in and finishing chasing that the chaser can't do (top n bottom of verticals)

Currently using my pals who I team up with on big rewires which is a dewalt 18v ni-cd which would be ideal but the batteries are not great.

The makita 18v li-ion is a no no as it uses a battery protection system which cuts out when under heavy load to protect the batteries. But cutting into brick is too much load for this grinder and cuts out so is useless tbh. I told makita about this at elex and they were very aware as loads of sparks complained about this issue.

I looked at the 18v 4.0ah li-ion dewalt but seems they are also using this battery protection system now.

Might have to go with the dewalt 18v old carcass which accepts the tube battery li-ions but wondered if anyone has any other ideas.

Ideally wanted to go makita as have the drills/impact set but the grinders no good.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions great fully received

Cheers

I can't help with a recommendation.

But am I alone in thinking some battery charging systems are bonkers?

My cordless drill for instance, senses the batteries are fully charged when they get hot.

Great in principle. BUT when doing a lot of drilling, you charge a battery, it gets hot, the charger says it's charged. You put it in the drill and do a lot of drilling.  It runs flat. you put it back in the charger that senses it's STILL hot and says it's charged : headbang

You will often find my drill batteries cooling off in a customers freezer, just so I can recharge the bloody things.

Something you never see mentioned on any reviews.

On a related subject, can you get blades for a multitool that will cut tiles or brick? Would be dead handy if you could.

Last edited by a moderator:
M4tty I think all of the main manufacturers are using a protective system, I have the 18v red li-on from milwaukee, it's ruddy marvellous (as is all Milwaukee) but to be fair haven't tried it on brick, have noticed that the drills stop if you overload them and restart once the pressure is off.

What's up with corded or is there no power available I have cordless but only use it lightly threaded rod etc

Anything heavy duty like finishing chases I'd use a corded. And there cheap £50 compared to a few hundred quid for a cordless setup

Thanks guys.

Alpha there's always power available lol but it's a pain running leads around the place going from room to room. And using my pals has made me want one / need one / ... Business expense ... Boys ... Toys . I love tools

Also use a ceramic tile blade which is very thin and cuts nice neat noughts and crosses sign around the box :)

I would get a corded one mate.  A lot cheaper.

I have the makita 18volter.  Which I love.  I just use it for the odd thing.  Anything for prolonged use and I get the 14.99 jobbie out.

I got bought this cheapo 18V "Rolson" as a present (2 18V batts + 1 hr charger). Actually alright for the odd job where there's no mains. Tend to use with slitting discs. I use it on site for the odd job when I can'r be ar5ed to carry one of those big yellow batteries and leads up to the roof......................
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/clicon357/P4200333.jpg

If knocking up any steel fabrications I use it with a grinding disc on as pretty much a "power file" for de-burring edges.

Keep meaning to get a bare Makita to go with the drill!

I've got a Bosch 18v as all the rest of my kit is Bosch and its as good as gold.

Use it for chopping in boxes, finishing chases and the best thing about it, cutting SWA to length!!!! No messing about for 10 mins with a hacksaw!

We use a De Walt 18V though it's a few years old now. Brilliant bit of kit that we mainly use for cutting padlocks and grinding off rusted bolts and floodlight fittings along the marina. It hasn't been defeated yet.

I've got a Bosch 18v as all the rest of my kit is Bosch and its as good as gold.

Use it for chopping in boxes, finishing chases and the best thing about it, cutting SWA to length!!!! No messing about for 10 mins with a hacksaw!
Is that lithium ion mate as I've found most manufacturers of li-ion have got a heat protection which cuts the grinder out when under too much load before it really drains the battery hard.
I've gone for the 18v dewalt ni-mh without the protection but have been messed about by one certain online tool company which I'm still waiting a refund but will report back if the grinders any good

Yes it li-ion, never given me any problems.

I buy all my power tools off of my wholesaler, they aint as cheep as some of the wholesalers but if I know I ever have any problems then I go in there almost every day

I had a Ryobi cordless grinder once with the 18v ni-cad battery's and it was useless to be honest soon as you put the disc to the metal the first battery would be dead so I wouldn't recommend that one.

I am however contemplating a Bosch 18v lion grinder as I can use the same battery packs as my drill, this does look like a very good quality tool.

I've had use of a DeWalt 36volt grinder and it was excellent.

Have you had a look at the hilti ones, had one of their drills which was the absolute dogs proverbials... until it got nicked. Imagine their angle grinders would be of a similar spec to the drills and hopefully won't cut out if you give it some stick.

I use my Bosch 18VLi regularly, almost all my kit is Bosch 18VLi, so the batts swap around.

Find it very good, but recommend the 1mm slitting discs for cutting, much less load.

Has saved me hours already.

Nice one Paul do they do the very thin discs for cutting masonry ? I've got some with the grinder for cutting steel the very thin ones but will use it mainly for chopping walls. Cheers

Latest posts