Cordless drill to mains conversion, need adapter.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loofer

Reaction score
I've got an old 9.6V Black and Decker Proline  PL97 cordless drill whose batteries are dead. I can buy replacements for about £35 but 2 of those will cost more than a new drill. Stupidly I dumped the old batteries before I released I can rebuild the packs myself so that's not really an option without buying old packs first and that would cost too much again. 

So I'm going to do a mains conversion but I need a 240V AC - 9.6V DC adapter (I'm guessing 5A will cover me? not really sure) unfortunately  I'm getting nowhere with online searches. The only result I found was a chinese company that had a minimum order of 1000 units.....

Could anyone point me in the right direction to source something like this or let me know if that ampage is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
it'll probably need more than 5 amps. using adapters to power battery tools is not really practical

Why do you say that?

Yeah I've got a couple of newer drills I just hate to bin something that's perfectly usable. It's also handy to have a few drills so I can drill countersink and screw without fannying about changing bits.

it'll probably need more than 5 amps. using adapters to power battery tools is not really practical

We have some clippers at work that have 2 lithium ion batteries and a snap in mains power pack. I see you lose the portability, but I don't know why its not more popular.

There is maybe an after-market opportunity for someone:

1033.Jpg

mK6g9AouKBR3Edf55E6HrQg.jpg

We have some clippers at work that have 2 lithium ion batteries and a snap in mains power pack. I see you lose the portability, but I don't know why its not more popular.

1033.Jpg

Same as a lot of the old camcorders did. 

1033.Jpg

Because when the batteries have given up no fool will spend £90 each on new ones when they can jus plug it in. :C

It pains me to throw something out that could give another 20 years of good use, especially when the solution could be a tenners worth of new cells /new transformer. It amazes me that I have to do things like throw out a good scanner because no one makes drivers for it to talk to Windows whatever. Old fashioned I guess.

Yeah, it's great that stuff is cheap to buy new but I hate being driven into buying it by overpriced replacement parts. These guys could make a lot more by selling me a battery for £15 that costs them £3 to make than selling me a £15 drill that costs £8.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good price.... but I don't think that they're compatible with my drills,,,, IIRC they're only compatible with the newer ones...

I also had to get a new trigger for my drill .... IIRC that cost £35

It pains me to throw something out that could give another 20 years of good use,

But will it give another 20 years of use? I note you said "could" but truth be known its doubtful that it will. Yes its a shame to have to bin stuff, but then the quality is not there any more, so if you change this part, how long before that part fails?

Latest posts