Cricklewood Electronics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Email from a place I've used for years, since a kid in fact, celebrating their new website. Useful amongst other things for odd capacitors:

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/home.php

Assuming the discount code would work for more than just me:

[SIZE=13.5pt]Dear Cricklewood Customer,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]    We have recently launched our new website www.cricklewoodelectronics.com. We would like to take this opportunity to offer you a 10% discount on all orders placed online until 6:00pm on 7th March 2015. Enter the code CRICK10 at the checkout. As this is a completely new website you may need to register your details again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Kind Regards[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Cricklewood Electronics Ltd[/SIZE]

I had the same email. Same code so it's not unique to a particular customer.

I haven't used them for years. but I do still have a (very out of date) printed catalogue.

Nice little shop they have too up the Edgware Road.

Not many old "traditional" electronics shops around. As a kid they were ten a penny. We had Garlands in Deptford, Stevensons in Bromley, Filmers in Dartford ec. Even Rapid Electronics started in a little village near me. On the mail order side I would use Bi-pak, Greenweld and must have spent most of my pocket money at J Bull Electrical.

Back in the day when you could buy Jackson variable capacitors and Denco coils from Maplin to make your own SW radios!

On the mail order side I would use Bi-pak, Greenweld and must have spent most of my pocket money at J Bull Electrical.
Just happen to be going through some old piles of stuff from years ago, picked out some Greenweld and Bull catalogues from around 1990. Not the same now just buying stuff from China brand new with free delivery for 99p!

All these places have taken the fun out of building anything. Instead of being able to buy a length of ferrite rod at Maplin you now buy a ferrite rod with ready wound MW & LW coils on it. Half the fun/skill was winding your own coils from enamelled copper wire, varnishing them............and then having it all spring off and starting again. There was a greater sense of achievement when it all worked!

There was only one such shop near me. They were called C Marks electrical. Sold everything you could want to do with that kind of thing. Sold a lot of cheap junk mind you. I knew someone that got a job there once. A customer had bought a hammer, [made in china] [this was back in the early 1980's mind] The customer brought it back, as, when they used it, the head dented!! My friend was told to tell them that they must have been using it wrong!!

Anyway, i bought lots of bits in there. The main thing i can remember was getting reel to reel tape recorder tapes in about the mid 1970's, oh, and a multimeter in about 1985. Shop closed down about a year ago. Sadly missed, like a part of my life dying..

Stilll got my multimeter, and the makers instruction book too, had it 30 years. Broke it about 3 months ago... Went to measure the output from a welding set, forgetting that it was an AC tig and superimposed on the AC sine [ok square] wave, was the HF arc maintaining voltage of several 10's of thousands of volts. Instant no more meter..... well upset.... Can remember the day i bought it...

Now all you have is maplins in cardiff. Not much stock and hugely expensive.

john...

There was only one such shop near me. They were called C Marks electrical. Sold everything you could want to do with that kind of thing. Sold a lot of cheap junk mind you. I knew someone that got a job there once. A customer had bought a hammer, [made in china] [this was back in the early 1980's mind] The customer brought it back, as, when they used it, the head dented!! My friend was told to tell them that they must have been using it wrong!!

Sounds a bit like a shop in Glasgow's Barras called Pearsons it is 2 shops 1 for tools the other for electronic & electrical parts. Some good stuff and some cheap junk.

Yes I have been pleased with their service too. They have a good range of the yellow AXIAL 400 and 1000 volt caps. They even have a few basic valves.

One of my favourite suppliers but alas some components are not available like silver mica capacitors. I ordered a pair of valves for a princely sum of £25 but they did not arrive. After a phone call, Cricklewood confirmed the valves had been sent but supplied another pair at no cost. SPAM

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use "Sendz" in Southend for all things TV related. Don't know if they're still going.
Wow Sendz.  Remember the shop front?  it was worse then my teenage sons bedroom.   At the weekend there used to be a que at the side door to go upstairs to see them (que at weekend as it was rarely open frequently during the week). You had to go upstairs as the shop front area could only fit 1 man in due to the mess.

Sendz went years ago, around the same time certain electronic equipment stopped being made. (things for getting free phone calls, cards to get all the sky channels for free etc).   Unless they are trading from else where.

Terry (the very tall rasta) who used to be in there (i think part owner) is still working the doors, (he always used to work the doors at the weekend). He was working at one of the busy bars on leigh broadway this weekend just gone, though im sure he pushing into his 60s.