Crimping Tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I lent my mate one of these [example] about a year ago, along with a bender etc,,,,,,,,,,,

he says no you didnt, so obviously my now EX mate isnt giving back any of the stuff I lent him,

I have another bender, but I need the crimper for an upcoming job, I have another bender.

question is,

do i buy another one the same , [as per the ebay link, or are they **** ]

or can anyone say these are any good?

Im thinking too good to be true and stuff to go wrong, leaks etc,,,,,,,

Ive never in the past needed to crimp anything over 120mm, I dont ever think I ever even needed that TBH,

That smaller hydraulic one would be good Stepps .   We used to hire one similar till someone nicked it and they stopped hiring .   Forget the one up to 300mm    .   95 - 120mm is enough , hire anything else .

And DON'T  lend it out ..............its fatal even with so called mates ......those hand crimpers ( I have one)  are £80   and a bender is £300 ish  new so he,s saved himself a few bob.

thanks Deke,

kinda what I was thinking TBH

it was a good hilmor too, £300++++

******* **** he is

and the crimper cost me 100£+ about 10 years ago,,,,,,,,

The small crimpers are great for fitting into a tight space and worth the money .     One job would pay for itself at the Ebay price .

I have one the same as the one you've lost but its only on the van when it's needed .

Steps - what size do you need to crimp? I have one of these:

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/202745-large-mechanical-crimp-tool

Happy to post it over to you if you send it back when your job is done.
Best Forum on the planet :Applaud

Same opinion as Canoe on the hydraulic one.

Apache, are you SURE you have that crimper, because I have one exactly the same I bought off you!

Yes, because after I sold it to you I needed to crimp some big terminals onto 50mm cable and bought another :Blushing

I brought mine from TLC very expensive they charge £95 these days but they seem to work OK and you adjust the tension to suit terminal.

Steps - what size do you need to crimp? I have one of these:

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/202745-large-mechanical-crimp-tool

Happy to post it over to you if you send it back when your job is done.

Steps,

I'm not doing much install work at the moment, so if you want to borrow the one I have you are welcome.
I coulda swore I had replied to Apaches offer,  :shakehead

anyways, thanks for the offer guys, but its the sort of thing I like to have of my own, just in case, and at the ebay price its not a mad amount to have sitting for the few times I need it, unlike the bender sitting in my garage taking up space,

but, its there for when its needed.

Yes, because after I sold it to you I needed to crimp some big terminals onto 50mm cable and bought another :Blushing
:slap

exactly the reason I like to have my own, would be sods law as soon as I posted it back Id have another to do,

and it'd prob cost half an ebay one to post it a couple of times anyway,

Canoeboy said:
Step I have one of them i can send you

Its the same one (exactly off ebay)

We use it as a door stop as it doesn't crimp very well at all and is completely useless
thanks,

but, according to the wife, I have enough crap of my own, without collecting other peoples crap too,

:C

Steps,

A mate of mine has the crimper like the mechanical one off ebay, also almost identical to the one on TLC.

He has had it for years and loves it, though, he feels that he needs to put a little bit more tension on than the scale says.

Yer Sidey, that mechanical one is exactly like the one I had, and I got into the habit of setting it half a turn tighter than the scale, I just put it down to wear.

And for the use I'm probably likely to give it I'm not going to buy something too expensive.

If your stuck Steptoe I have a hydraulic one, your only 20 minutes away from me.

Latest posts