Customer wants a shower in the utility room

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following on from my "ring on a radial" thread, same house, next "problem"

There's a large downstairs utility room that houses a washing machine, tumble dryer and WC. So obviously it has 13A sockets - okay at the moment.

But the customer wants a shower in there. Obviously not okay which I have told them, but customer want to find a way.

So how about this:

Partition the room in two. So you enter from the corridor into a "shower room" that contains just a shower and suitably rated light fitting, plus also an extract fan as there will be no window.

From the "shower room" you pass through a second door into the "utility room" that contains the washing machine, tumble dryer and WC.

I can't see anything wrong with that, by making it into two rooms. It's no different to having an en-suite shower room in a bedroom, with a 13A socket on the wall right outside the shower room, and the two doors is no different to having a jack and jill shower room with a 13A socket immediately outside each door to the shower room.

Your thoughts please.

Works for me. Room containing a shower is the key bit, the room is defined by the walls and doors, regardless of what's on the other side of the doors.

Isn't there some restrictions wrt windows in doors for rooms in rooms?

Isn't there some restrictions wrt windows in doors for rooms in rooms?
Can't say I've ever heard of it. Depends on what you class these rooms as though I suppose, and you wouldn;t want a window in the shower room. The more I think about it the more I think this is just daft as a corridor\hallway is a room, in the same way that any other room is a room. Even if there were some window\door restriction I wouldn;t worry about it.

No different to the combi-boiler in the cupboard in the corner of my bathroom (I didn't put it there). Seems that if you have a door enclosing said electrical items then all is well!

This is going ahead, but slightly altered.

The plumbing makes it work out better having the utility room first, so from the corridor you enter the utility room with the washing machine and tumble dryer, then through the second door to the shower room, which is where the wc and basin are already. It also means the shower room has the window.

There is some suggestion from the owner that the door from the utility room to the shower room will de a sliding door, which probably translates to a door that will never ever be closed, but at least it can be closed so everything will comply with regs.

I'll be putting the socket for the washing machine and tumble dryer as far away from the door to the shower room as possible.

Latest posts