Digital Dimmers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My other current ongoing job has ground to a halt, while the builder negotiates changes with the customer (I seem to have awkward jobs at the moment)

The job is all first fixed, plasterboarded, and indeed partly second fixed, to the original specification.

But the builder and customer are now discussing the lighting.

It's only a small 2 bedroom bungallow, but for the size of house, I've never seen such complicated lighting. There are 3 separate lighting circuits in the living room alone, mostly switched from 2 locations.

It's all wired for conventional 2 way switching.

But now what the customer is asking for is "digital dimmers" which I have never used. but if I am understanding it, they work on a master / slave system. The customers issue is she wants to be able to dim the lights from either switch, not just one.

If I'm reading this, right, then the whole lighting circuit needs to be ripped out and rewired completely differently. Is that right?

I just need to know, so the builder can quote her the additional cost to rewire and make good the plasterboard where we have to rip it apart.

Thanks

I'll have to draw out the circuits I have to be sure, but it looks like there's a pretty good chance I can just reconfigure the existing 3 core strappers to work with those without having to rip the whole place apart.

Dont whatever you do use GET digital dimmers, unless you like going back to jobs replacing them!

WOAH!!!!!

The varilight remote touch dimmers are NOT digital dimmers.

TLC don`t stock (or even supply) this type of kit

(the closest is the -SMART ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/GET_Smart/index.html)digital )- which has now been superseded by "sphere", which isn`t compatible - think Bill Gates has been here??)

Digital dimming is a remote dimmer pack, with LV(1-10v analogue) / DMX type wiring to the dimmers themselves; which send control signals back to the main dimmer pack; which fires the outputs on thyristor (usually) :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:52 ----------

Re-reading your O/P - what you (read "your customer") actually want is "scene dimming" - which your existing wiring is unlikely to be fit for.

Look at the Futronix "P400" - it`ll give you a base idea of generic scene dimming for domestic environments.

HTH

KME

I had a customer like that once , kept moving the goalposts after wiring had gone in, boxes chased in , plastered up. Had no idea how much hassle it was to keep changing everything. Would discuss some new lights in the morning with builder and me before leaving for work . Spend all day altering everything ripping boards up drilling joists etc.

She comes back at 4.00 and says Oh I don't think I want to have what we discussed this morning .

It was in the days of "Plenty of work" and I was getting further and further behind with other jobs so I beggered off to catch up.

Amazing how nothing gets changed when you're not there.

Yes this is a customer from hell.

All the time I've been on site, the customer would visit twice a day. Each time she visited, you were tied up for half an hour talking through the details with her, and yes every time something had changed.

Her requirements are somewhat unusual. For instance, this is the first time I have fitted a light switch for the main living room lights right in the far corner opposite the door. (there's one by the door as well) This is so she can turn the lights on or off from her reading chair without having to get up from the chair.

I thought finally when we had finished first fix, everything was to her liking. Well it was then, but 2 weeks has elapsed, and her requirements have changed it seems.

If she really wants true digital dimmers then yes it looks like a rewire is needed.

The original plan was I should have gone back just a week after my last visit to finish off, but it's now been 2 weeks, and the builder is still not ready for me. Apparently wiring changes are not the only changes she keeps on making. The builder is getting pretty P'd off as well. So much so that he's told me to invoice him for the work done so far as he's no idea when things will be ready for me to finish off.

Latest posts