Do I need Solaredge Power Optimizers?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstarj

Reaction score
I've finally managed to get a quote from a company I'm happy with. They have quoted for 10 Jinko tiber New 54C 420W panels with Solaredge S440 Optimizers. Our roof is shadow free until late afternoon/early evening depending on season (SW facing), when next doors roof casts a shadow (see image). Amount of shadow obvs depends on season but it will never go further than the first panel. So, will optimizers be worth it? I know there are other benefits but it looks like it would add about £1K to the cost of install.

The system cost is £4.3k and install £3K, not including scaffolding. The install seems a bit pricey to me; would I be right?

Also been quoted for anti pidgeon mesh. There are pidgeons around, but never on our roof - they seem to have favourite roofs and ours isn't one. Are they a good idea in general though.

Thanks in advance. This forum has been great for me to get up to speed with what's good and what's maybe not so good.

Cheers, Johnnie
roofsolar.png

Solaredge does give about 2% extra on unshaded roof. Previously I've said it's not worth the cost, but that was before the jump in energy prices.
Thanks Binky. This quote is from a company that is by far the most reassuring so I'm kind of hapoy to take their advice in general.

You can't really tell if the panels will attract birds or not. It takes one bird trying to make a new home, or a squirrel getting the taste for wires.

I had e Grey squirrel munching through a CCTV cable once. Of course my wife dismissed it as the "cute thing" would never do that... ... until I found the evidence, caught in the act, with my 8 MP CCTV camera. 🤬😅.

So, take a gamble, but then be prepared to pay for erecting a new scaffold and installation cost again.

Same thing with the optimisers... I decided to pay for all 10 as I prepare my self in case next door neighbor or future neighbors decide to have a loft conversion at some point. Or to prevent the array to stop producing if one panel fails completely.

As I understand having optimisers should also help troubleshooting some problems and helps pinpoint the affected panel. Correct me if I am wrong.

Some of the added costs it's hard to swallow but in my old age I am trying to minimize this kind of surprise.

I wonder if the optimisers need to be installed on the actual panel or these can be located inside the foft. ?

Thanks Creakyride. All that makes sense. Back in the dawn of the internet I subscribed to a newsletter called the Internet Tourbus. One of the authors signed off with "Warning: Squirrels!" - apparently one had knawed through the powerline to his university and knocked out all the power. Never underestimate squirrels!

Personally if it’s only one panel I wouldn’t use Solar Edge. I’d think about a Tigo
Optimiser on that single panel which then gives you more inverter options.

Thanks. I'll ask. Any top tips on what inverter if not Solar Edge?
Everybody will have their own opinion on that. To some extent it will depend on the battery (if you’re getting one) as some only support certain battery manufacturers. I would just rather have a more generic setup where elements can be replaced possibly cheaper than being tied into proprietary Solar Edge system. Don’t get me wrong - I can definitely see the benefits of SE but IMHO a single shaded panel doesn‘t justify it.

Personally if it’s only one panel I wouldn’t use Solar Edge. I’d think about a Tigo
Optimiser on that single panel which then gives you more inverter options.
Tigo don't work in the same way, they are nothing more than an enhanced bypass diode, and reduces string effects but can't eliminate them, whereas Solaredge is an MPPT per panel, which makes every panel completely independent of the rest, and definitely a good quality product.

Here is something to read about optimisers which I have found interesting and maybe is of use to someone too.

Optimisers blog
Which brings me back to my original position of not installing any potential failure points on the roof, including Tigos. By pass diodes are well known to be the most likely failure point, long term, but I haven't encountered any yet in over 10 years of solar installation and repairs.

Tigo don't work in the same way, they are nothing more than an enhanced bypass diode, and reduces string effects but can't eliminate them, whereas Solaredge is an MPPT per panel, which makes every panel completely independent of the rest, and definitely a good quality product.
I know they work nothing like SE. But I would personally rather put a single optimiser in a single panel than be tied into what is effectively a proprietary system for very little gain in THIS case.

I know they work nothing like SE. But I would personally rather put a single optimiser in a single panel than be tied into what is effectively a proprietary system for very little gain in THIS case.
Your choice. I just think that if you are going down the panel optimisation route, you might as well go whole hog. If I remember correctly, SE warranty their optimisers for 25 years, not sure if that includes accessing the roof. The other alternative is to fit an SMA inverter which has shade compensation built in.

Your choice. I just think that if you are going down the panel optimisation route, you might as well go whole hog. If I remember correctly, SE warranty their optimisers for 25 years, not sure if that includes accessing the roof. The other alternative is to fit an SMA inverter which has shade compensation built in.
My PV quote show warranty on the Tigo optimisers and that is 25 years.
The same for the Tigo Cloud Connect Advanced Kit.

You can then see each panel in the app in an accurate shape representing them on your roof. Yes they would help with error detection but also, don't forget that panels do not age and decay at the same rate so the optimisers will also help with that. Our neighbour did have a loft conversion as has been said, so I was delighted to have installed SE with optimisers as it has affected performance not one bit.

16x panels 16x optimisers, solaredge 6kw HD Wave inverter

Latest posts