EV charger feedback / opinions wanted

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexblue

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for adding! My name is Benjamin and I am happy to be part of your community.

Me and my friends recently noticed that EV chargers are not intuitive, and the installation is never simple: Installers, customers and engineers are encountering problems.
We want to work on a better product, which meets the expectations of electricians and installers alike, so that compatibility is universal, while guaranteeing a quick and trouble-free installation.

Feel free to open the discussion with me, I am looking forward to talking with your great community, and learning from your experiences!

Best,

Benjamin

I changed the title to be more inline with the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for adding! My name is Benjamin and I am happy to be part of your community.

Me and my friends recently noticed that EV chargers are not intuitive, and the installation is never simple: Installers, customers and engineers are encountering problems.
We want to work on a better product, which meets the expectations of electricians and installers alike, so that compatibility is universal, while guaranteeing a quick and trouble-free installation.

Feel free to open the discussion with me, I am looking forward to talking with your great community, and learning from your experiences!

Best,

Benjamin
I made my own charger (wallbox is a better term because the charger is in the vehicle) 2 years ago, I developed it into a twin charger later adding support for solar etc. I used an arduino due board for the processing power, a lower spec'd one could have been used, I used some hardware to control the earthing system which actually did a true self test under control of the arduino, I never got to the point of writing an app, i did make it web accessible though which provided a nice human interface.
Later, I installed a ZAPPI along with my solar PV and EDDI to provide the full integration.

Good luck with your project, my system would been easy for an electrician to install and the user interface was simple, even when using both ports, it set priorities max grid supply etc. There are some cheaper boxes around these days and one of the major costs is the cable and plug, do your build cost analysis carefully.

And another thing...... welcome to the board, absolute mine of information on here for some pretty decent guys (there are exceptions of course). :):):)

Hi Everyone!

Best,

Benjamin

I changed the title to be more inline with the post.
I've installed a few, not had any real problems bar charging software systems, and the main problem was getting the telephone help needed to complete the job.

Hi @johnb2713! Thanks a lot for your kind reply.
There are a lot of really interesting things in your message. That's good to see how you improved your charging system by yourself! I like it.
Your system is actually looking very smart and reliable! Super good work :)
Have a nice day, and see you soon!

I've installed a few, not had any real problems bar charging software systems, and the main problem was getting the telephone help needed to complete the job.
Hey Binky :) Pleasure to meet you!
Who did you tried to call? The retailer?
I think the help & support needs to be super reactive and reliable for such a technical product..
Did you had others bad experiences that you want to share?
It would be awesome to figure out the main issues, whether it be the installation, the product itself or the phone support.. I am already working hard on a solution, but your experiences is way more relevant for my project!

Hey Binky :) Pleasure to meet you!
Who did you tried to call? The retailer?
I think the help & support needs to be super reactive and reliable for such a technical product..
Did you had others bad experiences that you want to share?
It would be awesome to figure out the main issues, whether it be the installation, the product itself or the phone support.. I am already working hard on a solution, but your experiences is way more relevant for my project!
Retailers know nothing, technical support are the only people to call.

Wouldn't call it a bad experience, just demand means phone lines are busy, so can't always get through when you want to.

One other point, I installed a couple of pillars that have lovely blue flashing LEDs around the socket when not in use. Flashing all day and night, firkin irritating as hell! And to dim said LEDs, you have to phone the helpline..... The casing of that pillar was also bleeding awful to fit , meaning I will never fit that well known make again by choice for it was rollocks (that being a pun on said well known brand)