Heat Pumps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as I'm going to pack all this in very soon can anybody tell me what the supply requirements are for "most" heat pumps?

I'm just curious

Thanks

So as I'm going to pack all this in very soon can anybody tell me what the supply requirements are for "most" heat pumps?

I'm just curious

Thanks
About 1/3 of the heatpump power, my 14 kW runs at around 4kW on maximum load, it has an inverter so it's soft start etc. 14kW is at the higher end of domestic air-water heat pumps though.

For various reasons we fitted an electric boiler at my mum's house, it's 12kw and runs the central heating for a 1965 dormer bedroom 3 bed house - not the most energy efficient sort of property. I ran a 16mm cable for the supply, 10mm was a bit too marginal for my liking on an appliance that will run for hours at a time. Air source are more efficient ( regret not converting to that now) so you would do well with a 10mm I would have thought, running say 6/7kw heat pump.

For various reasons we fitted an electric boiler at my mum's house, it's 12kw and runs the central heating for a 1965 dormer bedroom 3 bed house - not the most energy efficient sort of property. I ran a 16mm cable for the supply, 10mm was a bit too marginal for my liking on an appliance that will run for hours at a time. Air source are more efficient ( regret not converting to that now) so you would do well with a 10mm I would have thought, running say 6/7kw heat pump.
I cabled mine with 10mm T+E, a 7kW heatpump would only take less than 10amps so its overkill for that (not in a bad way though), mine is a 14kW 13.8 amps when at 100%, inverter drive to the compressor is great for reducing the starting load to nothing.

Latest posts