Hello to all

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.C

Reaction score
Hi to all

I am new to the trade, due to redundancies etc, I went self employed, worked for a friend doing electrics as a labourer and decided to get some sort of qualification so went down the fast track route.

I can imagine the gnashing of teeth by all time served fully fledged sparks but at the wee tender age of 45, I was a tad too old for becoming an apprentice or indeed working at that wage level.

So thus far, I have gone most of the way through a domestic installers course , completing 17th Ed and 2393 Part P compliance ( although beginning to think this was a bit of a whit elephant) and am now about 1/3 through the 2394 and 2395 section, with 1 practical assessment and the 2 written exams to do.

I was sitting going through my notes, and got into a mind block, thought I would use tinterweb to look up the answer and stumbled upon this site and decided to register, if only to say hello.

So Hello to all

Dave.C

Welcome. 

Yes short courses are not met with much respect from time served electricians but I personally can understand why you made the choice you did. 

If if you work within your limits and surround yourself with good people then the only way is up. 

Ask questions and enjoy the forum. 

Last edited by a moderator:
at least he has been working as a labourer Andy. You have a lot to learn, post questions, try to gve an answer and you will get far more help than just asking questions and seeing if someone tells you what you want to know.

The short course is ok if you are working with an electrician. There is a lot of information to take in, in a short space of time and for that, a level of intelligence is required. 

The massive failing is the lack of practicle side. I was already working for a company so had an ideal set-up ( not to mention the chap who I worked for, he got Cheap labour, paying for their own qualifications coming with construction experience and tools. )

I have had a wealth of experience working within construction as well as starting my working life in Agriculture where practical skills are a necessity. 

There are some that attend these courses assuming that actual tuition is given on wiring of domestic dwellings and therefore leave with the qualifications but no idea of how to chase a wall, remove a single floor board or even wire a two way switch. 

I do not profess to be an electrician, a domestic improver at best. I am however thorough and will not take short cuts, I work to the regs and if I don't know or am unsure, I am not too proud to ask help. Which, trust me, I will be on here with questions. 

But for the time being, ask that you keep in mind that although I and my cohorts are green as grass regarding the actuall wiring, we are bang up to date and a instant source on current regs ( well the cohorts are 🤔)

at least he has been working as a labourer Andy.
yes, that is always a big help, and will put you further ahead than others on the course who havent even wired a plug before

but it does make a change someone coming here who acknowledges that the short course doesnt make him an electrician and that he will need more help. type of person who you dont really mind helping providing its not some of the really basic questions that are often asked

yes, that is always a big help, and will put you further ahead than others on the course who havent even wired a plug before

but it does make a change someone coming here who acknowledges that the short course doesnt make him an electrician and that he will need more help. type of person who you dont really mind helping providing its not some of the really basic questions that are often asked
so be nice then :)

clarifying some of the basic stuff can be the biggest help for those off a short course, even if it is a bit irritating sometimes, and this guy is being open and honest with us, unlike some that have appeared on here.....

Latest posts