Interesting fault diagnosis on Wocester oil boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Worcester Dansmoor WM12/19 wall hung oil boiler.

My freindly plumber calls me in to investigate what he thinks is an electrical problem causing it to lock out.

It's tripping on a flue over temperature, which is a sensor coiled up right on the top of the boiler.

It's a newish house, about 5 years old and it's been tripping for some time.

So we fire it up and wait while it warms up. Sure enough it trips out, so out with the temperature probe.

The flow water temperature was only up to 55 degrees but the temperature on the top of the boiler was up to nearly 80 degrees. Why would it be that hot?

Eventually I persuade the plumber to open up the burner to have a look.

The baffle box was almost totally disintegrated, rusted and distorted. Plumber suspects burner was set up wrong right from the start and has been burning too hot.

Never seen anything like that before, and most unexpected when investigating what was thought to be an electrical problem.

There are 2 parts to this thread

1st fault was the boiler burner

2nd fault was the plumber

If you pardon the pun " A combination of faults for this boiler breakdown".

Good job Promaximus Davicus sparkatus was about to end all problems :)

As usual it's Sparks to the rescue!Interesting fault though. Could there be water getting into it to cause the corrosion?
I don't know about that, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a leak in the water jacket.

My own, floor standing oil boiler when installed worked fine for about 6 months, then it stopped. I removed the burner and a load of water came out with it.

I dried it all out, then found it had a tiny leak at a weld, and it had taken 6 months for the water due to the leak to build up to the point where it flooded the burner.

The whole boiler was replaced at the expense of the supplier, they even paid for the plumber to come and fit the replacement.