Inverter/battery combos for octopus tariffs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofflove

Reaction score
I’m in the process of getting a panel/battery installation. I’ve been quoted for a 12 panel system with solax 5.0 g4 inverter with 6kwh of solax batteries or a givenergy 5kwh inverter and givenergy 5.2kwh battery. There’s only £150 difference in price in the total install.

The givenergy system obviously has a slightly smaller battery, but has the advantage as I under it that it is compatible with the Octopus intelligent flux tariff. The Solax battery is a little larger but won’t run on the ‘intelligent‘ part of the tariff.

im tempted to go to with the givenergy system to take advantage if this but any views, comments from those with more experience that me would be valued.

ps I don’t have an EV.

thanks

We have solar on enphase micro.inverters and our battery is seplos with eve lifepo battery setup 14.4kwh battery setup running through a solis inverter we use the octopus go tarrif and have ours timed programmed to 00:30-04:30 to charge the battery at 9p per kwh
I wouldnt want the grid to connect to my battery and say when it charges and when it discharges to the grid we dont get paid export at all and so we find ours works gteat its a self install but im.a qualified electrician working in the trade heres a couple of photos of our setup which will provide use with between 12 and 8 hrs power from full charge depending on loads on the house cooking kettle etc

We have solar on enphase micro.inverters and our battery is seplos with eve lifepo battery setup 14.4kwh battery setup running through a solis inverter we use the octopus go tarrif and have ours timed programmed to 00:30-04:30 to charge the battery at 9p per kwh
I wouldnt want the grid to connect to my battery and say when it charges and when it discharges to the grid we dont get paid export at all and so we find ours works gteat its a self install but im.a qualified electrician working in the trade heres a couple of photos of our setup which will provide use with between 12 and 8 hrs power from full charge depending on loads on the house cooking kettle etc

Attachments

• IMG_20231223_142705.jpg
    IMG_20231223_142705.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_173639.jpg
    IMG_20240105_173639.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Suggest you check if the givenergy inverter is a G3, iirc it has a slightly higher throughput than earlier giv models.

Compare the solax and giv battery sustained discharge rates thru the inverter, if one is much bigger than the other then that's something to prefer imho, a kettle will pull 2-3kw for example, be a shame to pull from the grid if u don't have to.

You may wish to add more battery later so which system makes that easier?

Seen any examples of the monitoring system, are the graphs clear? Looks easy to use?

How much shading do they state in their quotes? Have a chimney in the way sometimes?

Just some things to consider factoring in to the decision.

Enjoy your choices!