Inverter dumping all stored energy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athlonoc

Reaction score
This topic appears on a couple of threads but I wanted to clarify the situation as it stands so it's clear.
Can someone confirm if I have this right?

I've been trying to stop the house puredrive battery from emptying its charge to the car overnight between the Octopus Go 00:30 and 04:30 off peak times. ( seems odd to charge a battery with a battery! )

My inverter will dump my Solar stored energy completely if I change the discharge settings from 00:00 to any selected times. It appears to have done that on the 2 occasions I have tried ( is there any point to discharge settings? )

If I set the Amps to zero on the charge settings 00:30 to 04:30 then the battery doesn't deplete its stored energy to car or home and the car charges at off peak rate.
This of course means the puredrive house battery can't provide any stored energy to the house for this period.

I guess there isn't a solution to keep the house running on home battery and only charging the car from the grid off peak? I suppose the system can't differentiate between a draw of power for a car over say the heating or a light bulb?

If there is a way does it boil down to the amount of Amps requested to show it's a car wanting 7.3kW of energy from the grid but all other draw of energy can come from the house battery.

Lee

This topic appears on a couple of threads but I wanted to clarify the situation as it stands so it's clear.
Can someone confirm if I have this right?

I've been trying to stop the house puredrive battery from emptying its charge to the car overnight between the Octopus Go 00:30 and 04:30 off peak times. ( seems odd to charge a battery with a battery! )

My inverter will dump my Solar stored energy completely if I change the discharge settings from 00:00 to any selected times. It appears to have done that on the 2 occasions I have tried ( is there any point to discharge settings? )

If I set the Amps to zero on the charge settings 00:30 to 04:30 then the battery doesn't deplete its stored energy to car or home and the car charges at off peak rate.
This of course means the puredrive house battery can't provide any stored energy to the house for this period.

I guess there isn't a solution to keep the house running on home battery and only charging the car from the grid off peak? I suppose the system can't differentiate between a draw of power for a car over say the heating or a light bulb?

If there is a way does it boil down to the amount of Amps requested to show it's a car wanting 7.3kW of energy from the grid but all other draw of energy can come from the house battery.

Lee
What wallbox are you using to charge the car?

Project EV charger
Project EV claim that their charger is compatible with solar so I suggest your first port of call is there. MyEnergi ZAPPI when working in ECO+ mode will look at surplus energy (export) and dump that into the car, there is also a schedule boost in their that uses off peak. It definitely doesn't continue taking power after the schedule or when there's no export. Hopefully Project EV can help.

Thank you for your replies.

My Eco+ mode works in a similar fashion and charges the car when surplus is about to be exported to grid above 1.32kW

However my issue was after setting a discharge setting in the Solis inverter it decided to dump all stored battery energy from the house to the grid!
I've read that if you set the Amps to zero on the discharge setting with the inverter controls it will stop any energy being released from the battery. If not and I set a discharge time, then it will just empty the house battery to the grid.

I've seen the Youtube video from Travis he suggests this and a couple of other threads.

But I was just curious to know if anyone had managed a different tact where they could stop the house battery emptying to the car on the cheap tariff ( 00:30 to 04:30 ) but maintain covering the house with the stored house battery?

Thank you for your replies.

My Eco+ mode works in a similar fashion and charges the car when surplus is about to be exported to grid above 1.32kW

However my issue was after setting a discharge setting in the Solis inverter it decided to dump all stored battery energy from the house to the grid!
I've read that if you set the Amps to zero on the discharge setting with the inverter controls it will stop any energy being released from the battery. If not and I set a discharge time, then it will just empty the house battery to the grid.

I've seen the Youtube video from Travis he suggests this and a couple of other threads.

But I was just curious to know if anyone had managed a different tact where they could stop the house battery emptying to the car on the cheap tariff ( 00:30 to 04:30 ) but maintain covering the house with the stored house battery?
Is this a new installation that doesnt work or an older installation thats gone wrong?
Do you not set your house battery to charge at the same time? Set a charge schedule for the battery to the same time with 0 current so that it stops it discharging but doesnt charge either?

This isn't a new instalation. My home solar system was installed 9 months ago. It works absolutely fine. Charges when I want etc etc.

I then decided to buy an EV a couple of weeks ago and now I have the scenario of not knowing if all this kit can do the following:-
Between 00:30 and 04:30 charge the Car battery using wall charger from the grid at off peak rate. At the same time stop it from taking the energy from the house battery between 00:30 and 04:30 as stated but allow the house to take the energy from the house battery.

It seems if I set zero amps on the inverter between these two off peak periods it does the first element by stopping the car from taking the stored battery energy but of course it will also stop the battery from powering the house between those times. I'm not sure if there is a way around this.

I'm not sure how your project EV wallbox has been setup, it should be able to recognise when there is no solar export and therefore stop charging. The only other way that springs to mind is to take the live feed for the charger the opposite way through the CT for the solar, that way no current going to the charger will be detected by the Inverter.

Is this a new installation that doesnt work or an older installation thats gone wrong?
Do you not set your house battery to charge at the same time? Set a charge schedule for the battery to the same time with 0 current so that it stops it discharging but doesnt charge either?
Or actually charge the battery up from the grid at cheap rate (unless you know that you'll get more solar than you need during the day)?

"take the live feed for the charger the opposite way through the CT for the solar,"

Or install a second CT on the EVSE supply, wire into the inverter in parallel with the first CT, adjust direction to give the desired effect ?

Whichever is easiest.