Level 3 Practical Exam (Day 2)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLSparky

Reaction score
Hello all, was on here a little while back asking for advice/help with my exams due to various complications in my family life which resorted in me falling behind but as was advised I kept my held held high (Well... Down in a book) and carried on with my revision.

I did my first exam today which was the testing of:

-Garage Supply

-Motor

-Garage Socket

-Ring

-Lights

-Shower

All went as well as it could have done, feel very confident after day one, now i've just got to get on with the fault finding exercise tomorrow, which is why i'm starting this topic, obviously I have a good idea of what sort of faults they might impose on my circuit but is there any that you had during your exams that tripped you up? Baffled you etc?

I'm taking in with me a list of all the possible ones I can think of (Hopefully around 30) to look for before the testing even begins, this way I may get lucky and find a few of the nine the adjudicator has!

Cheers,

Francis.

Haven't got any great advice but out of the 9 faults I reckon 7 will be dead test faults, maybe even 8. Good luck

Just as Philbas says; if you perform the tests

exactly as trained, in the proper sequence, the

faults will emerge. I have seen these boards in

construction, so the adjudicators know precisely

what the fault is, and what the meter should read.

You may be given some information about each fault in advance - As if you had turned up to a job and asked a few questions of the customer. So if you think logically you can usually work out the nature of the fault, and thus the type of test needed to prove it. Then all you have to do is break the circuit down to determine the location of the fault.

There should also be 1 visual and 8 cabling faults - you are not allowed to switch anything on during the exam so all must be found by dead testing only.

Cheers for your advice and that, much appreciated.

Found all nine of the faults (5 were visual). Were mostly silly things like cross polarity, no screws in the M.E.T etc.