LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery stores and fire risk/detection/insurance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman22

Reaction score
Its been a little quiet in here for a few days so though it a good time to open this can of worms.
I have my 15kWh store in an attached garage adjacent to my main consumer unit.
I am considering fitting a smoke and heat detector local to the batteries with an RF link back to other smoke detectors in the house. I do have lounge and landing individual smoke detectors already which I would probably replace.
The garage gets pretty hot in summer and cold in winter. Any recommendations for kit?
I contacted my county Fire Brigade to ask if they had any recommendations or advice on LiFePO4 storage in the home, all they did was point me at an article on Solar Panels and high DC voltages when fighting fires, nothing at all on batteries.
I'm almost loath to contact any home insurers for opinions on the risk since wide coverage of e-scooter battery fires & bans on London underground and train service companies on transporting the scooters, then there are e-cigarettes' exploding on charge.
Our home battery stores may be very much safer with BMS monitoring but the insurers will no doubt lump them all together as a big risk and charge accordingly. Anyone have first hand experience of insurance increases for the risks?
Not telling your insurer is a good way of giving them a get out clause should the worst happen. Also remember your investment in the tech is a cost you would no doubt wish to recover from your insurer should the worst happen & each battery may be of higher value than the single article limit you have currently set.

Its been a little quiet in here for a few days so though it a good time to open this can of worms.
I have my 15kWh store in an attached garage adjacent to my main consumer unit.
I am considering fitting a smoke and heat detector local to the batteries with an RF link back to other smoke detectors in the house. I do have lounge and landing individual smoke detectors already which I would probably replace.
The garage gets pretty hot in summer and cold in winter. Any recommendations for kit?
I contacted my county Fire Brigade to ask if they had any recommendations or advice on LiFePO4 storage in the home, all they did was point me at an article on Solar Panels and high DC voltages when fighting fires, nothing at all on batteries.
I'm almost loath to contact any home insurers for opinions on the risk since wide coverage of e-scooter battery fires & bans on London underground and train service companies on transporting the scooters, then there are e-cigarettes' exploding on charge.
Our home battery stores may be very much safer with BMS monitoring but the insurers will no doubt lump them all together as a big risk and charge accordingly. Anyone have first hand experience of insurance increases for the risks?
Not telling your insurer is a good way of giving them a get out clause should the worst happen. Also remember your investment in the tech is a cost you would no doubt wish to recover from your insurer should the worst happen & each battery may be of higher value than the single article limit you have currently set.
I informed my insurers of the battery and solar installation, they noted it and there was no change to the premium. Insurers are Natwest who use Direct Line.

When I was having my system installed last year I called my insurer, no issue or change to premium

I think most insurers have woken up to the fact that a Solar Battery supply uses a dedicated charger and is not plugged in or out, the majority of LiIon fires had battery packs that are separated from the charger when in use, scooters and bikes come to mind, it was a known fact that when LiPo first came out the majority of fires where due to incorrect charging.

Just to close this topic out, I contacted my insurers giving them the full itemised costs for the major components of my Solar/batteries and they said its covered with no increase in premium. Just to be sure I asked for written confirmation that the risk is covered by them.