Looking for a USB PIC programmer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, any of yous' have anything to do with PIC microcontrollers. I used to use a Williem programmer that isn't USB, Cant remember if it was serial or parallel. Anyways I now only have a laptop that has neither so looking for a half decent USB programmer. Got any recommendations. There are a couple of cheapo's on ebay, namely:

This

And

This

Also seen These But they seem to be ICSP only (or you buy/make an adaptor similar to the second link above. Is that's the case may as well just buy cheaper one1.

Any info welcomed, cheers

I'd stick with the Willem serial programmer and get a USB-serial adapter, but a proper hardware based one not a software one. I've always used the Edgeport range, worked first time on allsorts of POS equipment and also on all the OBD kit for the car, and just about anything else serial related tbh.

I would suggest that you buy a Microchip PICkit2 or PICkit3 and the Microchip Universal Programming Module (AC162049) if you need the ZIF socket. If you have more money, go for the ICD3 or RealICE, both of which I use day in day out. The PICkit2 is cheap though and of course integrates with MPLAB IDE seamlessly for programming and debugging.

New devices are added to the supported devices list with each release of MPLAB, so you won't ever be left behind if you use one of the Microchip programmers or debuggers.

I personally wouldn't waste my time with the ebay programmers and PICkit2/ICD2 clones as the PICkits are so cheap and work so well.

Cheers to both of you for the replies. Lurch, keeping the Willem really isn't an option. Trying to loose the adaptors and looking for something a little simpler. I only do relativley basic stuff anyway. Aptsys, i've been looking more into the pickit 2 it seems ideal for my use but i must admit i've been struggling with the out of circuit connections. The Universal Module looks quite good. How does it connect to the pickit, do you have to make a lead with pin header on 1 end and (what looks like from images) rj11 on other. Seen some adaptors by j1sys you get different ones for differing pin count devices. look quite good too.

http://www.j1sys.com/pdfs/ICSPAdapters-v1.0.pdf

Well, a little more thinking required, but nearly there.

thanks again

Yes you'll need to make a little RJ-11 to 6 pin SIL connector. Either that or use something like the breadboard cable kit (AC162069).

If you prototype on breadboard, then you don't need the ZIF socket, just make an RJ-11 cable like the cable above and connect Vdd to Vdd, Vss to Vss on the PIC with decoupling capacitors, Vpp to MCLR,and PGC/PGD to the PGC/PGD pins on the PIC. If you want to use the debugging facilities of the PICkits or ICDs then the ZIF socket modules will be of no use to you anyway.

99% of the time I use ICSP. I have the universal programming module and a similar device for the Microchip PM3 and they've been used about 3 times only!

It may be worth you getting a PICkit 2 or 3 with the additional dev board, like Farnell part number 1686530 (Microchip DV164131) or Farnell 1340278 (Microchip DV164121).