losing my Domestic PAT testing virginity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello yall,
Business is good here in Whitby so hope everyone else is doing fine also.
I have been asked to complete some PAT testing for a friend who has a few holiday homes here in North Yorks.
I was sure Meger cert suite had PAT certificates but it seems it is not bundled with those, so what do you guys use please?
I am using a meger mft 1741+, with a kewtech pat adapter, which I know is a little slower than a dedicated pat machine but im not investing in a PAT machine till I know I am doing plenty of PAT work - should I want to.
Are there free up to date spreadsheets any where as a pdf or free apps, software we can trial?

Also, after an initial visual inspection of one property, I counted 27 pieces of equipment that need testing, class 1, 2 mainly. Do we need to remove fitted kitchen items, dishwasher, sink, oven etc, to try get to the plugs/terminals? I have a few work around ideas, was just wondering what others do.
Also, do we test wired smoke alarms or fused spur connected components such as bathroom fans and fires?

I have experience of office pat testing, but everything was already labelled, previously checked and available from a checklist. Also, most devices were simply plugged/unplugged from dado trunking, nice and easy......

Cheers n stuff

Leigh

Hello yall,
Business is good here in Whitby so hope everyone else is doing fine also.
I have been asked to complete some PAT testing for a friend who has a few holiday homes here in North Yorks.
I was sure Meger cert suite had PAT certificates but it seems it is not bundled with those, so what do you guys use please?
I am using a meger mft 1741+, with a kewtech pat adapter, which I know is a little slower than a dedicated pat machine but im not investing in a PAT machine till I know I am doing plenty of PAT work - should I want to.
Are there free up to date spreadsheets any where as a pdf or free apps, software we can trial?

Also, after an initial visual inspection of one property, I counted 27 pieces of equipment that need testing, class 1, 2 mainly. Do we need to remove fitted kitchen items, dishwasher, sink, oven etc, to try get to the plugs/terminals? I have a few work around ideas, was just wondering what others do.
Also, do we test wired smoke alarms or fused spur connected components such as bathroom fans and fires?

I have experience of office pat testing, but everything was already labelled, previously checked and available from a checklist. Also, most devices were simply plugged/unplugged from dado trunking, nice and easy......

Cheers n stuff

Leigh
Portable Appliance Testing-I’ve never seen anyone with an oven tucked under there arm

Seriously though, ovens and hobs are usually fixed appliances unless I suppose they are connected via a 3 pin plug. I just write a list of the appliances tested and note a pass or fail and the reason for a fail if they do; who needs a special form?

Seriously though, ovens and hobs are usually fixed appliances unless I suppose they are connected via a 3 pin plug. I just write a list of the appliances tested and note a pass or fail and the reason for a fail if they do; who needs a special form?
Fair point. Im just trying to get organised and efficient.
Just got off the phone from meger and certsuite will be up and running with pat compliance within 6 months apparently, then if im doing more pat work, then ill invest in a new dedicated tester.

Of all the many and varied tasks I've ever undertaken , both in employment and for myself. PAT work sits high in my ranks of being sole destroyingly boring.
I also believe there are companies using semi skilled operators to do it for peanuts.
You may soon have had enough!
Im wanting to bundle the whole range of inspections into one site visit over a whole day.
I will offer pat, eicr and epc in one package. Then I will get the remedial work too. Or subcontract out.
Having the right software - meger hopefully, will aid archiving and referencing the certification of these works too.

On the pat side of things, David Savery, who is youtubes cleverest and comic electrician, still PAT tests and advised advertising your business logo, prominently on each sticker on every tested appliance, which makes sense.....

There is no reason to look down down on PATesting it is part of our trade. I agree it has been ground down to the bottom by certain companies but isn't that becoming a factor throughout our trade.

Im wanting to bundle the whole range of inspections into one site visit over a whole day.
I will offer pat, eicr and epc in one package. Then I will get the remedial work too.

As long as you have a client who is willing to pay a reasonable rate for your time and overheads,
then there is no reason not to include PAT in your portfolio of services...

(But historically there have been reports of some companies offering stupidly low rates that are not cost effective.)

I don't really push or seek out extra PAT, (or EICR), work with totally new customers..
The minimal I do agree to undertake are for previous customers who have had other installation / alteration / fault finding work done..
That I know and trust, and I can explain why my realistic costs are higher than what some other tradespersons/companies may offer.

At the end of the day it is no good working reasonable hours testing and providing reports, if you are only paid peanuts!

In my 24+ years of self employment a key "costing-rule" I have learnt is:-
NEVER assume the current job you are doing will automatically generate further work....
So do not reduce any charges for the current work in favour of "promised" future work!

As long as your current work is cost-effective and covers all of your overheads with a bit of profit..
Then any further work is a non essential bonus... that you do not need to worry about if it does not materialise.

It is basically the comparison between the 'Loss-Leader' and 'Regular customer Discounts'...
Whilst it is common for supermarkets to sell some products at a loss with the hope that customers will also purchase more profitable products
For a small business / sole trader, it is far better to only offer any reductions to known good proven reliable customers who pay promptly.

Basically do NOT try to run a PAT service as a Loss-Leader!!
AND do NOT undervalue your abilities, expertise, training, qualifications, experience!!

NEVER assume the current job you are doing will automatically generate further work....
So do not reduce any charges for the current work in favour of "promised" future work!
So true, and any customer who trys to make out they will give you loads of work if you are cheap is usually fertilizing the roses 🌹. Even if they do feed you more work, it just means you end up a busy fool.

So true, and any customer who trys to make out they will give you loads of work if you are cheap is usually fertilizing the roses 🌹. Even if they do feed you more work, it just means you end up a busy fool.
I normally tell them, they will get the next job cheaper , but see how this job goes first,

As long as you have a client who is willing to pay a reasonable rate for your time and overheads,
then there is no reason not to include PAT in your portfolio of services...

(But historically there have been reports of some companies offering stupidly low rates that are not cost effective.)

I don't really push or seek out extra PAT, (or EICR), work with totally new customers..
The minimal I do agree to undertake are for previous customers who have had other installation / alteration / fault finding work done..
That I know and trust, and I can explain why my realistic costs are higher than what some other tradespersons/companies may offer.

At the end of the day it is no good working reasonable hours testing and providing reports, if you are only paid peanuts!

As long as your current work is cost-effective and covers all of your overheads with a bit of profit..
Then any further work is a non essential bonus... that you do not need to worry about if it does not materialise.

It is basically the comparison between the 'Loss-Leader' and 'Regular customer Discounts'...
Whilst it is common for supermarkets to sell some products at a loss with the hope that customers will also purchase more profitable products
For a small business / sole trader, it is far better to only offer any reductions to known good proven reliable customers who pay promptly.

Basically do NOT try to run a PAT service as a Loss-Leader!!
AND do NOT undervalue your abilities, expertise, training, qualifications, experience!!
thanks for the advice and heads up..........