Meter to measure self consumption

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also really like to know the actual consumption of the ASHP - is fitting a dedicated meter the only way to do this? And is it hard / expensive to do? I need to ask Daikin how they would do it too!
Just get one of the numerous energy meters that have a CT clamp, pop it round either the live or neutral conductors feeding the ASHP, job done. OWL is easy to setup and will do this job, no problem.

J

Thanks, I will look around. It appears the OWL products are no longer available - not on Amazon or any of the other retailers they link to. Would you have any other suggested meters?
Thanks!

Thanks, I will look around. It appears the OWL products are no longer available - not on Amazon or any of the other retailers they link to. Would you have any other suggested meters?
Thanks!
Hi,
Sorry about that, I hadn't realised OWL had disappeared, it's a shame really, they were pretty good and could show you instant, hour, day, week, year consumption / cost etc.

I still some kicking around no longer used, I'd happy to send one to you for the cost of the postage if that helps?

or

Amazon search Energy Meter.

That's an incredibly kind offer, many thanks!

I have been searching CT clamp energy monitors and it's very confusing for a newbie :)

I will DM you.

Just get one of the numerous energy meters that have a CT clamp, pop it round either the live or neutral conductors feeding the ASHP, job done. OWL is easy to setup and will do this job, no problem.

J
All those meters do not measure energy consumption. They measure current, that is all. To measure energy consumption you need to measure voltage and power factor well.

Hello all - I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a 5.6kw PV system, professionally installed, and in operation for 5 years. However I have never been able to really tell how much generation I am self consuming. The aim is to contribute to the high energy consumption of an ASHP.

Is there an inexpensive meter I (or an electrician) can fit which will show how much I am self consuming?

I can see generation from the Solar Edge portal and from the FITS meter (I am paid on generation and deemed export, not actual export). I can see my import from Octopus (not much different to before PV).

But I can’t specifically measure self consumption. Hence I can’t calculate return on investment, or build a business case for battery storage.

I can’t help feeling I have missed something basic :). Surely it’s possible to track how much of the system’s output I am actually using?

All advice is gratefully received!
Going through similar working out ourselves and with some neighbours. Something like a myenergi harvi can have three ct clamps to monitor inverter export, home import, battery charge and then it can talk to a car charger for more data.

The ct clamps need to go round a live wire. Not the cable with live neutral and earth which is the only tricky bit. Some people try to squeeze the ct clamps onto the consumer unit. I’ve just use seporate live and neutrals where the monitor is installed.

Lots of other third party devices will do this as well. But the myenergi as a nice app, is cheep and seems to just work.

No. I have no idea what sort of loads he has.
Ah well, there we go. Lets just say in my experience I have used several OWL units and always found to be about right. It does ask you what your mains voltage is so I guess if you get that right the rest will follow.
Pressure, you need to bear this in mind when you setup the meter, it's not mega critical but it will affect the overall accuaracy as Boris says.

Latest posts