Mounting tv inside stud wall option?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been doing a few jobs now around my local area and handled them all with what seems to be a good attitude and quality of service. Certificates forwarded as required. Now I have a job that the client wants 2x tvs to be mounted in a childproof manner, as In her little monkeys can not hang from anything protuding from the wall.
Can the TV's be somehow mounted within the stud wall?
I recommended a caravan style 12volt set but they have already bought them in 240v.
I am fairly competant at joinery also, so could make a simple cabinet with a sloping top so nothing for the little ones to hold on to.
How would you lot approach this as a few local electricians have already turned the job away but I aim to please and like a challenge......
Cheers n stuff

Don’t cut into a wall for a tv, you will weaken structure of the wall. Usually build a false wall around the tv.
Don’t cut into a wall for a tv, you will weaken structure of the wall. Usually build a false wall around the tv.
Agreed. I could add more studs/ noggins though as I have a double socket sized Access hole and the area within the stud is quite deep.
Or as I think about a solution. I could add framing on the exterior of the plasterboard, between wall studs. Also trying to be conscious of heat dissipation and venting from the tv sets and I have not seen manufacturers installation guides yet.

Last edited:
I assume that were talking small (ish) TV's here as you mentioned caravan TV's as a possibility. It shouldnt be too difficult to cut a recess as required, no different to making a window or a doorway in a stud wall. Line the opening with 3x2 noggins to the nearest verticals, line the hole job done. I did a similar thing in our shop premises for a 60" display, it worked fine I also backlit the recess which worked well. If you struggle for space for a socket, a fused spur in the adjacent plasterboard addresses that.

Good luck, a vibe saw is your friend on this one.

Just a thought; The speaker(s) are usually on the rear of TV.. If you fully enclose it you will probably hear it better in the adjacent room!
There is usually a socket for an external speaker so maybe something to consider or be prepared for.

I assume that were talking small (ish) TV's here as you mentioned caravan TV's as a possibility. It shouldnt be too difficult to cut a recess as required, no different to making a window or a doorway in a stud wall. Line the opening with 3x2 noggins to the nearest verticals, line the hole job done. I did a similar thing in our shop premises for a 60" display, it worked fine I also backlit the recess which worked well. If you struggle for space for a socket, a fused spur in the adjacent plasterboard addresses that.

I have been reading the regs appendix and it states you can use one unfused spur from each socket in a ring final. So that is my intention.

One of those jobs were the electrical side is fairly simple.

It's a shame they have already bought the TV's as this sounds like a scenario where a ceiling mounted projection TV would be a better option.

What does backlighting actually do John?

Its a smart tv so wifi as she, the customer just wants you tube. As seems to be the way. Good point though as I was kind of wanting to make access possible if this changed to wanting to run cables or add a usb dongle.
For future expansion, a PLEX server could be added with a hometune box to give full DVR capability and more to all the TV's connected.

This is in a new build I wired earlier this year (now for sale)
70458_31787825_IMG_04_0000.jpeg

The idea is the tv sits in that recess flush with the wall of the "tv tower", the little slot underneath if for the sky box, and the large opening for a double sided electric pretend log fire.

Easy to do in a new build, a lot harder as a retrofit.

The TV recess is far too high. The TV should be at eye level.

Easy enough to get right in a new build but it wasn’t.

The TV recess is far too high. The TV should be at eye level.

Easy enough to get right in a new build but it wasn’t.
My exact thoughts, why do people put TV's so high, it must be horrendous to watch causing neck ache and the viewing angle of the LCD wont be optimum unless they tilt the TV.

Latest posts