Need Some Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree SP henleys are rubbish, but two singles side by side.

Put a 40A fuse in your switch fuse.

I would use 16mm tails from the henley to the switch fuse, a little bit easier to handle.

External earth bar, or if your supply head has accessible earth terminals, run the earth for your garage supply straight from the head (some tncs heads give you access to the earth terminal screws without dismantling anything, others hide them under a cover that can only be removed once the fuse is pulled)

HandySparks, on 17 Nov 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Why so? I've not had a problem with them.
Wait til you go to an old install and it's cracked
angry_explode.gif
angry_explode.gif

Hi guys, thanks for your replies again :)

Do NOT use DP connector blocks, they are the work of the devil!!!! 

Fair enough lol so 2 SP blocks side by side then, with L into one and N into the other?

I don't see why you wouldn't use a spare way in the CU TBH. The likelihood of the discrimination actually being an issue would be outweighed by the extra cost (labour and materials would soon add up) of the separate switchfuse. Depending on the board you may be able to use an HRC in it so you should still get the discrimination and you have saved a good chunk on the price. I like to see decent quality materials specced for the correct methods but I do not like to see OTT installs as a standard option.

As for freezers on FCU's, not a bad idea but a PITA and I have seen people with a new freezer just chop the old flex off and then run an extension from the other side of the garage to power it so completely negates the point of the FCU. You need to consider the usability of the installation. I would probably stick 2 socket circuits in on separate RCBO's if I thought it would be an issue.

I probably am over engineering it tbh, its important that i get it right and have considered all the various options when i discuss it with the customer/my boss, but as you say if it will save a chunk off the price then that will probably be their preferred method. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure i will go with RCBO's, it defiantly seems the best option to cover all bases.

Agree SP henleys are rubbish, but two singles side by side.

Sorry I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just a little confused. Do you mean DP henley's are rubbish? and to put 2 SP henley's side by side?

Put a 40A fuse in your switch fuse.

Why use 40A in switch fuse, is it because it would offer better protection than 63A? Due to the garage consumer unit will be either 40A 30mA RCD with MCB protection for circuits, or 40A main switch with RCBO's for circuit protection.

I would use 16mm tails from the henley to the switch fuse, a little bit easier to handle.

External earth bar, or if your supply head has accessible earth terminals, run the earth for your garage supply straight from the head (some tncs heads give you access to the earth terminal screws without dismantling anything, others hide them under a cover that can only be removed once the fuse is pulled)

16mm tails it is.

It would have to be an external earth bar then as the supply is TNS. Could you post a link to an appropriate external earth block i could use please? I did try and post a link to one from TLC-direct, but due to not having had 10 posts yet i am not allowed to post links. If you go to tlc-direct website, and put 'earth blocks' into the search function 2 options come up, both made from brass one which is 4 way and one which is 8 way, is that what i would be looking for? 

On a side note this incoming supply earth is from the 70's i think, its unsheathed and stranded and at first glance it looks underrated, due to the way its connected to the cable sheath i can upgrade it to 16mm, something i confirmed was ok with DNO today due to the fact the connection is accessible (connects to the sheath with a small lug and bolt configuration).

Wait til you go to an old install and it's cracked

Is this only an issue with DP henley blocks?

Thanks

Or use a wylex 160cm but change the 60A fuse and carrier to 45A (there might be another code to order it c/w with 45A instead of 60A)

They have 2 sets of terminals on the incomming side, so you can get away without needing henley blocks. And being of the wylex standard range... tehy are proper terminals as well :)

....Depending on the board you may be able to use an HRC in it so you should still get the discrimination and you have saved a good chunk on the price...
Excellent point, what is the make of the house CU?