Not Seen This Before

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure the conductors are metric? Looks a bit like a 3-core cable we used to use the US called 'UF-B cable'. It used to come with or without an uninsulated CPC and it was UV stable so rated for indoor or outdoor use.

Are you SURE there's no CPC, not just that the CPC has been cut back?

I've found ring finals wired in 1.5  3 core& earth, with the CPC cut right back and yellow used as earth.  It's either incompetence, or someone made a mistake (without stripping the ends, 1.5 3 core and 2.5 t&e look similar size) and didn't find the mistake until it was too late.

but like others, never seen 3 core 2.5

What I have seen in older installations, is 2.5 t&e bit instead of having a bare cpc, it's insulated green & yellow throughout it's length. I rather liked it, but have never seen it on sale.

BS6004:2000 Table7 -  "PVC insulated, PVC sheathed cable, 300/500 V, single core, flat twin and 3-core"  (without protective conductor) lists all sizes from 3 x 1.0mm" to 3 x 16mm2, in harmonised colours, so I guess the old colours were in the old version of the standard.  Of course, it doesn't mean that anybody makes them...

Table 8 shows same sizes, but with bare protective conductor.

Latest posts