OSO hotwater boiler_Issue heating the water

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the instructions:

https://www.tfc-group.co.uk/optimum/instructions/OP-IHTGPT_W-user-instructions.pdf
1. If the moveable tabs on the red-circled Timer are out, the power to the immersion heater is switched on.

If they're in, the power is switched off.

So it looks like some tabs have been accidently set to on ?

20:45 to 21:30, 23:30 - 23:45

2. The slider switch in the dial has three positions On - Auto - Off.

It's in the top ON position, meaning the timer functions are bypassed, and it's always heating.

3. The timer shows 07:30 at the time the image was captured.

According to the instructions:

https://www.tfc-group.co.uk/optimum/instructions/OP-IHTGPT_W-user-instructions.pdf
1. If the moveable tabs on the red-circled Timer are out, the power to the immersion heater is switched on.

If they're in, the power is switched off.

So it looks like some tabs have been accidently set to on ?

20:45 to 21:30, 23:30 - 23:45

2. The slider switch in the dial has three positions On - Auto - Off.

It's in the top ON position, meaning the timer functions are bypassed, and it's always heating.

3. The timer shows 07:30 at the time the image was captured.
That's helpful actually. I wouldn't even know how to find the instructions for the timer. I didn't know what model it is. But indeed I had put the slider on the "ON" position and I was still not getting any hot water when it was all gone.

Based on what everyone said I tried to just turn on the "Water heater" switch and it's now working. :)

So, it seems the issue is now resolved. But, I only turn it on when I run out of hot water otherwise I pay too much for the electricity.

Thank you all for the answers.

That's helpful actually. I wouldn't even know how to find the instructions for the timer. I didn't know what model it is. But indeed I had put the slider on the "ON" position and I was still not getting any hot water when it was all gone.

Based on what everyone said I tried to just turn on the "Water heater" switch and it's now working. :)

So, it seems the issue is now resolved. But, I only turn it on when I run out of hot water otherwise I pay too much for the electricity.

Thank you all for the answers.
In reality, the tank will have very good insulation, you will only pay for the hot water you use plus a little for losses through tank insulation.

Hi all,

The previous issue on why the boiler was not heating the water on certain time it has been resolved. I just had to use the Water Heating switch instead of the Night Immersion. However, I now have a new issue :/

Since yesterday it seems the boiler doesn't heat the water fully. Yesterday I used all the hot water and left the switch on over night and today the whole day. I went to take a shower and the hot water lasted for only 10 mins. It was boiling hot as usual, but then very quickly it was gone. Normally it's enough for way more than that and I can even have some hot water until the next day. But now nothing.

Does anyone have any idea why is this happening?

I'm not sure if you've ascertained which of the heating elements the timer connects to, and to which the "Water" switch connects.

The top element, on it's own, will heat much less water than the lower one, on its own.

At the moment it appears that only the top element is switched on.

Or perhaps the lower element is burnt out, or it's thermostat is faulty.

Ideally the lower element should be powered from the timer, so that only off-peak electricity is used to heat that large volume.

ΟΚ it seems that I keep having issues with this water tank and I don't understand at all what is happening....

So, yesterday the plumber came and he replaced both thermostats and those two black things on the pipes as he said they probably haven't been replaced since 2006 and that this would solve the issue. Fair enough.

Since yesterday though, if Ι only switch on the "water heater" button it heats the water only for an hour and that’s not enough to heat all the water. Then I switched on the “Night immersion” button and then it heated the water for a few more hours and so I had enough hot water again for long showers. Just to note that all these 6 months I’ve been to the flat I never heated water but switching on the “Night Immersion” and always had enough water. I was like ok I just have to press the Night Immersion button as well now.

All the hot water was gone yesterday. So, today I switched on both the water heater and night immersion and noticed the light of the night immersion was not on for some reason. Unfortunately, again the water was heated for only one hour and that meant that again not much hot ater. I know that because I have a smart meter and can see the energy consumption when the water is being heated.

Could anyone guess why is this happening? I’m becoming very frustrated with this situation.

Can you post some pictures of these "buttons" you are pressing and general views of the tank showing what heating elements it has and where? It would make a lot more sense to us then.

Attached as some photos.

* Wall buttons- I've got both on at the moment, but the water is heated for only one hour unlike before that it was taking 4-5 hours for the whole water to be heated and it could last two days. Not it doesn't even last for 5 mins.
Please note that the light on the "Water heater" is on, but because of the flash it seems to be off. But the light of the "Night immersion" is off even though it's switched on.

* Water tank- In red circle is what the plumber changed.

Attachments

• Wall buttons.jpg
    Wall buttons.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Water tank.jpg
    Water tank.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 0
Does the timer operate one of the immersions? Does it move around?
No it doesn't because even if it does I have moved the timer to the permanent position which means it doesn't wait for a specific time to start heating the water. But I noticed the light of the "Night immersion" switch is not on even if the switch is on.

Could it be that there is something wrong with the buttons? I mean the "Water heater" and "night immersion"

IMO the timer should still rotate despite being switched to the Permanent position ?
Perhaps this is fed from the Night Immersion switch, which appears to be unpowered ?
Can you locate a breaker in the main CU that feeds the water heating system ?
Is it in the OFF position ?
Despite the timer not working/set to Permanent, somehow the water is being heated for timed periods - is it exactly an hour every time ?
If the duration is actually random, perhaps only the top thermostat is powered, and switches heating off when that small volume of water is up to the temperature set by the thermostat ?
But bottom line, the small volume of hot water suggests the problem lies with the bottom element circuitry.
It isn't being powered, or the element is open circuit, or the thermostat is set too low.

IMO the timer should still rotate despite being switched to the Permanent position ?
Perhaps this is fed from the Night Immersion switch, which appears to be unpowered ?
Can you locate a breaker in the main CU that feeds the water heating system ?
Is it in the OFF position ?
Despite the timer not working/set to Permanent, somehow the water is being heated for timed periods - is it exactly an hour every time ?
If the duration is actually random, perhaps only the top thermostat is powered, and switches heating off when that small volume of water is up to the temperature set by the thermostat ?
But bottom line, the small volume of hot water suggests the problem lies with the bottom element circuitry.
It isn't being powered, or the element is open circuit, or the thermostat is set too low.
How can the timer rotate even if it is in the permanent position?

If the problem is with the night immersion switch, then how can we tell if it is unpowered? Is it a plumber that can check that or an electrician?

What is a breaker? And what is the CU?

Yes, it's about an hour that the water is heated each time.

Okay this is really simple. Your description of "pushing buttons" suggested you had some form of really complicated controller. Those are standard switches, not buttons. And your description of "boiler", it is not a boiler but a standard direct heated hot water tank.

Normal operation: leave the "night immersion" switch on all the time and the "water heater" switch off. This should automatically heat the whole tank at night at the cheap rate using the bottom immersion heater on the tank.

BUT do check, by going to look at the switch in the middle of the night to make sure that the light on the "night immersion" switch does come on automatically typically from midnight to 7AM, but timings may vary from place to place.

The "water heater" switch as you have found will operate at any time, and that is there so if you have used up all the hot water in the tank, you can manually turn that on when needed to heat just the top half of the tank at any time of day but at the peak rate of electricity. Turn that off when not in use.

Report back if the "night immersion" switch lights up in the night please.

Could it be that there is something wrong with the buttons? I mean the "Water heater" and "night immersion"
Whereabouts in Liverpool are you located, I quite often do work around Liverpool and could possibly call if I'm in your area and hopefully work out what the problem is for you

"How can the timer rotate even if it is in the permanent position?"
Because most run all the time.
So that should you want to switch back from "Permanent" to "Timed", you don't have to reset the clock to the correct time.
You have only been altering a switch that is "down stream" of the clock.

The fact that the clock doesn't move (even when switched back to Timed ?) and the light on the "Night Immersion" switch is not illuminated, indicates the power to the Timer and hence to the lower heating element is missing.

Look for a breaker (switch) in the CU (Consumer Unit, main Fuse Box), labelled "Hot Water "or similar, that is in the OFF position.

This is a rental property, so IF the timer that is supposed to turn the immersion heater on at night, is not working, report it to your landlord and he should send an electrician to fix it.