Panel marks - should this be replaced?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supa213

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had some new panels installed last week here in the UK via an MCS installer. Went up to the roof for the first time to check them out and noticed that one of the panels has some sort of residue inside. The installer says that it is excess glue between the frame and panel, and it is nothing to worry about, but I'd like a second opinion. What do you guys think? Is this common? Should I ask for it to be replaced while the scaffold is still up? None of the other panels are like this as far as I can see.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

20231016_172754.jpg20231016_172811.jpg

A little hard to see what that is, but panels could do with a damn good clean anyway. If it is surplus silicone sealant overlapping the cells, then that will affect the performance. It looks more like filth from dragging the frame of panel stacked in top of it over the glass. I would try cleaning with a small dash of washing up liquid, cold water and a soft cloth, then see what it looks like

A little hard to see what that is, but panels could do with a damn good clean anyway. If it is surplus silicone sealant overlapping the cells, then that will affect the performance. It looks more like filth from dragging the frame of panel stacked in top of it over the glass. I would try cleaning with a small dash of washing up liquid, cold water and a soft cloth, then see what it looks like
Thanks for the reply. I tried a quick wipe but it appears the marks are on the inside. This fits in with the installer's explanation that it is glue from the factory.

Thanks for the reply. I tried a quick wipe but it appears the marks are on the inside. This fits in with the installer's explanation that it is glue from the factory.
in which case I would demand a new panel as it is overlapping the cells and will affect performance. Might not be by much, but every little counts.