Part of the house dark

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simosos

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I'm Simon and I like to work with this kind of things even if I'm not a professional. for this reason I would like to fix the problem occurred at home and try to save money.

what happened is that my wife changing the bulbs due to apply new chandelier probably caused an overload because the lights in the kitchen and all first floor don't work. the house is a terraced house but what is strange is that the light at the entrance is still working.

I checked the bulbs and aren't burned: all of them are led.

I tried to check the fuse box which is very old model with big black plug to put into a socket. all the filament are safe. 

2ymzsjs.png.85ead0d0bf9009960b44709d0dbec7a5.png

there are 1 with of 5AMP for lights 1 blu of 15AMP and 2 red of 50AMP.

trying to removing the white is for sitting room area, the 2 red for oven and socket and the blue one look like nothing. I mean removing everything look like working well. even considering 15 AMP is too much for lights. but the filament is perfectly intact.

so where is the problem?

I checked other fuse box but there aren't. under roof as well. 

any suggest from you? 

thanks a lot

Simon

1 check fuse wire - do not replace with anything other than 5 amp fuse wire

2 did you change a light fitting to install a new chandelier? Not clear from your post

3 LED lamps would not overload the circuit, so sounds like you have caused a fault eihter from the lamp holders or whilst installing chandelier

thank you very much Binky for your answer!

1) I will replace the wire of 5AMP with new one but this looks working properly because if I try to remove the bulb in the sitting area doesn't work. if I apply again it works. this wire is little bit old with some mark of overload (yellow and green) but should be ok because it can't work for lights upstairs and work for 1 downstairs.

2) sorry for bad explanation: my wife removed the bulb in the kitchen (which is part of the sitting room), applied the chandelier without touching any cable or screw. and applying again the same LED bulb. she also made mistake holding the chandelier with the bulb but this is very light.

because I was not at home she told me that tried to switch on the light and was like faint/fleeble. then switched off and trying to switch on again didn't work anymore. trying the same on 1st floor was the same but probably too late.

3) if the problem is in the lamp holder what kind of problem can be occurred. I can dismount it and see but the cable should be intact. and even thinking one cable is not plugged properly anymore can this cause this same problem upstairs?

thanks!

ProDave in the fuse box there is only 1 white fuse. that one in the pic is only an example tooken from internet, it's not mine. I'll have a pic tonight if needed. 

so I have got only 1 white fuse and it works for central bulb in sitting area

Sounds like a wire has become disconnected in the kitchen ceiling rose. The lights are probably fed from fusebox to lounge light to kitchen light then to upstairs. That is why kitchen and upstairs lights are not working. Switch all power off at the main switch in the fusebox, then unscrew the white kitchen ceiling rose and have a look.

thanks guys, it was like that. 

dismounting the holder a cable was sheared. installed again and all working properly now. thanks for support!