PC Power supply sizing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Never "sized" a power supply for a pc before.

Anyone fancy helping me short cut the research process please?

I need an ATX sized power supply to run:

Asus PC4800 mother board 20/24 pin ATX connector & 4 pin power connector

Processor is Pentium 4, can't remember the speed etc. and can't check it as the machine won't power up, the PS has failed!

PCI graphics card with 6 pin connector ATI Rage series

2 off S-ATA 5.25" HDD

2 off IDE 5.25" HDD

2 off 5.25" DVD RW drives

1 off 3.5" FDD

(Want to fit an additional 1 off 5.25" FDD if I can get hold of one!)

5 off case fans @ approx 15W (by ohms law & fan W rating, some are A rated some are W rated)

I make the HDD at around 40W.

Anyone have any ideas what the graphics card, MB & processor will take.

MB has 4GB of 184 pin DDR DIMM on board.

It was running on a 570W Trust OK, but HOT, all PSU fans on all the time.

Thing is once you get bigger then you get pricey!

I actually will have the following peripheral connectors inside:

2 off FDD

4 off 4 pin HDD

1 off 6 pin graphics

1 off 20/24 pin ATX MB

1 off 4 pin MB

5 off 4 pin Fans (same connector as HDD)

Thanks peeps

There are some very good PSU's out there for reasonable money, the one I was using before was 1000w, and was oversized for the PC, a new PC being built at the moment will have a 750w PSU

PC shut down originally of its own accord.

Now it powers up for a split second then powers down again.

IF I shed load off the PS then it powers up OK, but there is not enough kit connected to the MB for it to run!

Thank you for that.

There is no carp mate all is used, if I disconnect the fans the case overheats!

Looks like around 570W according to that sizing page, so the old psu was at full chat, so I'll look for a 650/750W to ease the stress.

Canoe, your post does not look like it has the pci video card 6 pin connector

Thanks mate, the Cardiff store is between home & where I am 1st thing in the a.m.!

So may call there on the way back to have a look see.

2 hdd mirrored raid array for data

2 hdd, 1 boot disk, 1 used as gash/temp disk to keep boot disk & raid free of carp that is not essential to be kept/backed up

2 dvd's for copying data disks on the fly to be quicker than swapping out to hdd

The problem with that is what?

It is my main desktop machine.

I also have 2 lappys for other work.

I also have a couple of NAS devices for backing up data.

Having redundant RAID devices is also useful as they do fail.

I have had my fair share of tape backup failures over the years also.

I have just set up a robust network, the next is a totally robust RAID backup for our network data.

It will need to be around 4GB in size though and obviously mirrored.

At the moment I am running 2x 1GB mirrored raid devices with 1 as a backup to the other and we have 4 machines not backed up correctly due to space constraints.

Once the back up is sorted then we will look at a server for other reasons.

The p2p net works fine really for what we do there is no need for a server, but I did strip one machine today to fit a 250GB boot disk & a 500GB RAID mirror to it.

This will run Ubuntu Server.

I would look at getting a better PSU rather than a larger (maybe both). That way you will be improving on efficiency and it will be able to handle the power without tripping. Try something from Tagan as they are pretty well respected for PSUs, and they are quiet

Thanks all, PS replaced and all working.

The "old" PS was a Trend @ 570W.

The website above showed that as running at full chat as the machine had been modded since that was built.

This PS was a few years old mind and the machine runs 24/365 effectively being a file & print server plus my desktop machine.

I fitted an 800W replacement which should be will within the power requirements of the machine.

Plus a couple of years ago the machine has some overheating issues, now solved, but, the PS will contain electrolytics' so these have probably suffered due to this, exponential failure curve related to temperature and all that!

I'm going to close the thread now to save any further questions being raised and confusion etc. from one word posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.