Possible causes for bulbs out on set of 120 lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

housemaid01

Reaction score
Hi. Please can anyone advise a possible cause for bulbs out on a set of 120 outdoor chasing bubble lights. They are around 12 years old. To date I have checked that all bulbs are working and replaced any faulty ones. At one end of the string there are bulbs out at every other bulb, then half way this changes to every 3rd or 4th bulb out. The wiring is intact and in very good condition.

Is there any sign of corrosion? Start with the lamp nearest to plug that is out, remove lamp and look for any rust/corrosion. Without proper test equipment it may be difficult to establish cause.
Some might suggest that at 12yrs old it might be more economical to replace them?

If you have proven that ALL the lamps work, it can only be a wiring issue, be that a broken wire or as Sharpend suggests corrosion in one of the lamp holders. If your time is free, then yes, take each lamp out, test it, have a close inspection of the lamp holder. Picture of the string would be nice :) But also as Sharpend suggests @12 years old, I would consider changing them to something better, have you considered "LED Pixels" (Colour changing, sequencing etc)

Far-east Outdoor lights mean corrosion and poor connections, everywhere.
They have lasted 10 times longer than the manufacturer expected so cut your losses and replace them

Any thanks for your replies. As suggested, I will recycle and replace. On further inspection it looks like at least 2 of the bulb holder have broken conductors where the bulbs connect.

Latest posts