Recommend me some snow socks please for my van.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy D

Reaction score
Having changed my van last year, and gone up a wheel size, I'm in need of some new snow socks. I've always carried chains ( ski trips to the french alps ) but they are a faff to fit and fancied snow socks. So.... anyone have any thoughts?

Having changed my van last year, and gone up a wheel size, I'm in need of some new snow socks. I've always carried chains ( ski trips to the french alps ) but they are a faff to fit and fancied snow socks. So.... anyone have any thoughts?
don't get enough snow down here to merit buying such things.

Nor do we in the grim north, but fortunately they do in the french alps where we're going in a few weeks.

don't get enough snow down here to merit buying such things.
We don't, but then they offer better performance all the time once the road is cold. Since 2018 I've been sticking All seasons on for the winter. Currently using Avon AS7. The wife's got winter tyres on the car too, makes her that bit safer getting to work. Also makes a sledging trip to the moors in the snow much more fun when an ordinary estate car happily goes through 4 inches of snow!

I do a fair bit of work in the middle of nowhere in Cornwall. It makes a considerable improvement in grip once the temperature goes below about 7 degrees and especially when it's cold & wet.
When I've actually had to drive on snow or ice its unbelievable really the improvement, much safer.
Only on Monday night I drove across North Devon and Dartmoor at 10pm and the temperature was minus 4 all the way to Plymouth, didn't miss a beat not a hint of loss of grip.
Summer tyres just turn too hard and slip more at those temperatures.

So.... anyone have any thoughts?
Nokians, if they do your size, are one of the best in the snow.

Happy to recommend Michelin Crossclimate tyres which though not quite as good as dedicated snow tyres in snow are a very good all round choice which are still legal in European counties which demand snow tyres in Winter.

Happy to recommend Michelin Crossclimate tyres which though not quite as good as dedicated snow tyres in snow are a very good all round choice which are still legal in European counties which demand snow tyres in Winter.
I use these on my Freelander 2 and are brilliant all year round tyres, and also cut down on road noise as well, compared to other brands.

We don't, but then they offer better performance all the time once the road is cold. Since 2018 I've been sticking All seasons on for the winter. Currently using Avon AS7. The wife's got winter tyres on the car too, makes her that bit safer getting to work. Also makes a sledging trip to the moors in the snow much more fun when an ordinary estate car happily goes through 4 inches of snow!

I do a fair bit of work in the middle of nowhere in Cornwall. It makes a considerable improvement in grip once the temperature goes below about 7 degrees and especially when it's cold & wet.
When I've actually had to drive on snow or ice its unbelievable really the improvement, much safer.
Only on Monday night I drove across North Devon and Dartmoor at 10pm and the temperature was minus 4 all the way to Plymouth, didn't miss a beat not a hint of loss of grip.
Summer tyres just turn too hard and slip more at those temperatures.

So.... anyone have any thoughts?
Nokians, if they do your size, are one of the best in the snow.
I had a set of all seasons tyres on the van, true to form we've had about 1inch of snow after fitting them. They definitely improve grip on ice and even muddy roads, but I found the sidewalls are too soft, so for the few times they were useful I couldn't live with them the rest of the year, so have recently gone back to normal van tyres. They were interesting in the rain though, felt like they had the same level of grip as a dry day, but in dry weather they let the van wallow around corners too much unless over inflated. Perhaps I had the wrong choice of tyre and maybe a set of something like Michelin would have been far better, rather than the Pirelli I had.

Latest posts