Reference Method

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rutts35

PDF Magician™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

carrying out an EICR on our installation where I work. Writing up some schedule of test results and I'm stuck on the reference method for some of the cables. Seven cables feeding four DB's and three commando sockets. Cables are to BS6724 so, as they are copper conductors, BYB points me at 4E4. Here we only have methods C, D or E to choose from. My cables run straight down into aluminium metal floor trunking (checker plate lid). All custom made for our site.

So to me I would be looking at installation method fifty one, Multicore cable in flush cable trunking in the floor. However this gives me reference B which isn't an option for 4E4.

Installation method 70 is for multicore armoured only, Multicore armoured cable in conduit or in cable ducting in the ground but I thought this only applicable to being actually buried in the earth?

As an example the DB's are all 10mm cable on 63A type D breakers. The installation isn't heavily loaded and that is very unlikely to change. Going by 4E4 if I used reference method D then I would have to rate the cable at 58A which means the cable is undersize but I don't think this is the case.

We have this scenario in a few other places so I'd like to get it bottomed out!!

Opinions please?

Rutts

Last edited by a moderator: