Rewire old lamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshS

Reaction score
Hello,
I found this forum after a bit of Googling and so my first post is my first question!

I have bought a lamp (at an auction) where the plug was cut off (I assume to avoid a PAT test). All good signs šŸ˜‚

Basically the lamp holder is metal (painted) and the bulb holder is plastic (Bakelite type thing). I want to make sure it is safe but do know whether to either:

1. replace the bulb holder with a metal one, put a three core cable on it and so introduce an earth (making sure the lamp holder has metal to metal contact with the base).

Or

2. Whether to keep the existing set up/replace with a plastic lamp holder and single two core cable as the odds of the base becoming live seem very low (since the cable doesnā€™t run through the base itself).

Iā€™ve attached a couple of pictures so it makes sense. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

9AFEC43B-FE3E-4932-BD05-2F45F599E0DD.jpeg

Attachments

• 795C8CF9-03B0-4A8C-939F-029D25192A26.jpeg
    795C8CF9-03B0-4A8C-939F-029D25192A26.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
The flex should certainly be replaced with a sheathed type.
An insulated holder with 2 core flex is acceptable though as long as the flex is secured to prevent strain on the terminations.
If you choose to have a brass holder then it must be a 3 core flex, but again secure retention is most important..

I would change that for a new brass lamp holder, and rewire with a 3 core flex. the brass lamp holder will have an earth terninal.
Thanks for confirming - ideally the lamp cord shouldnā€™t be too bulky but it seemed like having the earth is the safest option!

The flex should certainly be replaced with a sheathed type.
An insulated holder with 2 core flex is acceptable though as long as the flex is secured to prevent strain on the terminations.
If you choose to have a brass holder then it must be a 3 core flex, but again secure retention is most important..
Thanks for your help too Geoff1946. It seems like both options are potentially acceptable thenā€¦ I suppose Iā€™m just overthinking it then perhaps? Iā€™ll make sure that the cable is secure with either option but have probably just been unduly worried whenever I see there isnā€™t an earth!