Scared To Ask !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone is moving on and I'm still using a tower and a mouse so a bit dubious about asking this .  

But then Hey ho ...I just remembered ...I don't give a shite so I'll ask anyway . 

Just spent an hour trying to find out to copy a DVD  for a friend , its a TV series. 

I'm on Windows Vista   (sorry Stepps)   and I'm trying to copy in Media Player   , Windows Centre and Windows DVD maker but getting nowhere .

I have the book , Vista for Dummies  but I think thats written for someone on another planet TBH .

I only ever copy music CD's which generally is easy. Do you not have a rip feature IE you rip it onto the computer then burn to a disc. Maybe DVD's are different to CD's though. To tell you the truth Deke I know as much about computers as you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can do music Batts , never done a DVD before .  

Theres a programme called Windows DVD maker ....but it just sits there ... I 'm looking for a prompt like ..."  Want to copy a DVD ?" etc

Or is that too easy ?  

Can't remember who's pc it was but I came across one that had a DVD writer in as standard BUT NO software to actually burn them, all you could do was burn CDs.

OK  Done that  Paddle Thank you ! 

It says disc is copy protected , cannot copy .

I will however keep Imgburn on the PC  for future .

Depends upon how big the original disk is, as some are double layer 9.6GB and normal ones you buy are only 4.7GB.

You can buy the double layer ones but they cost about £3-4 each.

You can get a program called Disk Shrink which will allow you to strip all the rubbish off of disk eg other languages etc

Canoeboy said:
Ah Ha

In that case check your PMs in a minute when i can type one out for you !
Naughty i hope ur not going to tell someone how to get past write protections. personally id of just downloaded the dvd by now save the headach lolz.

ah, downloading some stuff is illegal,

bypassing a write-protection on a DVD you possess/own is legal,

its actually illegal for someone to prevent you from backing up your own property.

I'll go with canoeboy. Imgburn still is very intuitonal in its use. And as steps mentioned, nothing wrong with backing up your, ahem, personal /personally owned files.

Canoeboy said:
...On a mac I use Handbrake, its excellent

Then there is AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD which will run alongside ImgBurn, they will strip out all the garbage.
You also get handbrake for Windoze based operating systems, it's a thing of beauty if you want something simpler than GK or VirtualDub.

Another option for backing up a DRM crippled DVD is Alcohol120% similar to ImgBurn it will dump to an image file then burn the image to another disk but Alcohol generally doesn't lose sleep over disks having DRM.

Latest posts