Slimline consumer units and access doors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris France

Reaction score
Hi All

I want to replace old fuseboard with a 7+ circuit consumer unit. The space occupied by the existing unit is restricted in depth. There’s plenty of room for a CU but insufficient to accommodate the switch flap (the overall depth is c175mm). Q. Could the cover be dispensed with and still comply with the Regulations? If so, problem solved. If not, are there an CUs with smaller access panels that anyone knows of? Thanks for any help :)

Hi All

I want to replace old fuseboard with a 7+ circuit consumer unit. The space occupied by the existing unit is restricted in depth. There’s plenty of room for a CU but insufficient to accommodate the switch flap (the overall depth is c175mm). Q. Could the cover be dispensed with and still comply with the Regulations? If so, problem solved. If not, are there an CUs with smaller access panels that anyone knows of? Thanks for any help :)
Unfortunately removing the flap invalidates the fire rating on the enclosure. All flaps are now hinged at the top, so is that an issue, as it sounds like your current board is hinged at the bottom.

I'm no expert, but Screwfix still sell CU's with flaps hinged at the bottom ?

Some more description of the location would help.

Will a flush-fit CU work ?

Unfortunately removing the flap invalidates the fire rating on the enclosure. All flaps are now hinged at the top, so is that an issue, as it sounds like your current board is hinged at the bottom.
Thanks for that info. I’ll have to find a unit that can be fitted with flap intact. It’s replacing an old fusebox that had a screw-on cover for the fuses (later retrofitted MCBs)

I'm no expert, but Screwfix still sell CU's with flaps hinged at the bottom ?

Some more description of the location would help.

Will a flush-fit CU work ?
The limiting dimension is the depth of the CU plus the folded out flap, so the thinner the better! Any leads to ‘flush-fit’ CUs welcome!

Ignoring the depth of the cu, the whole unit needs to have good access to install and work on.

This suggests that a spark or homeowner needs to be able to stand in front the unit and open the flap - so 500 mm minimum sounds reasonable

Latest posts