Solar PV, Diverter and EV Charging opinions please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Related issue for me.

I have a 5.8 kWp PV array and a 6kW battery storage. Currently on Octopus Agile Export and Variable Rate Import.

I'm getting a PHEV in January - 18.1kWh battery and will install a Zappi to charge it.

Hot water is gas boiler heated immersion tank in airing cupbboard and is only on for 1 hour a day to provide hot water for my wife and I, so not a high demand.

I'm wondering if it's worth installing Harvi and Eddi at the same time as the Zappi - product info on website talks about ability to use Eddi to dictate battery charging times, but how would that interface with my Solis inverter that currently controls charge/discharge of batteries?

Also, I am considering installing aircon in 2 rooms in 2023 and understand that Eddi can divert solar generated energy to power them - which sounds a good idea, (although I get a good return on Octopus Agile in the summer months )

I'm assuming that if I go ahead with the A/C install then Eddi makes sense, but if no A/C then probably not?

I'd welcome comments/advice (Apologies if I'm hijacking a thread here - not my intention, but a rebuff is welcome if I am :unsure: )

Split from hi-jacked post, to avoid confusion for OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Related issue for me.

I have a 5.8 kWp PV array and a 6kW battery storage. Currently on Octopus Agile Export and Variable Rate Import.
Ive never seen the point of AGILE, GO always seemed cheaper.

I'm getting a PHEV in January - 18.1kWh battery and will install a Zappi to charge it.
Been there, done that, good choice BTW.

Hot water is gas boiler heated immersion tank in airing cupbboard and is only on for 1 hour a day to provide hot water for my wife and I, so not a high demand.
On GO, it's cheaper to use the immersion during the off peak time.

I'm wondering if it's worth installing Harvi and Eddi at the same time as the Zappi - product info on website talks about ability to use Eddi to dictate battery charging times, but how would that interface with my Solis inverter that currently controls charge/discharge of batteries?
My system has a Growatt Inverter and battery, as of last week theres also a DIY AC coupled battery in the system too. On my inverters, I program the grid charging time of the batteries eg 00:30 to 04:30. During this time the batteries are being charges (and lots of other things being run too). When that time comes to an end the MyEnergi products spring into life, it depends on how prioritise them in the app. On mine, any solar that comes in supplies the house and charges the batteries. When the batteries are full a feed will go to the immersion heater until such time the immersion is up to temp or the export power exceeds 1300w, thats when the ZAPPI starts up to charge the car. The priorities are easily changed / overidden etc. from the app.

Also, I am considering installing aircon in 2 rooms in 2023 and understand that Eddi can divert solar generated energy to power them - which sounds a good idea, (although I get a good return on Octopus Agile in the summer months )

I'm assuming that if I go ahead with the A/C install then Eddi makes sense, but if no A/C then probably not?
EDDI cant supply the aircon units, it uses PWM to control the power going into a resistive load. MY AC units (13 of em) are just operated as required, if there isnt enough solar / battery (rare) then it draws from the grid.

I'd welcome comments/advice (Apologies if I'm hijacking a thread here - not my intention, but a rebuff is welcome if I am :unsure: )
Not a problem.

Thanks for your comments John - that clears up my query regarding Eddi and AC units.
I'm reviewing Go and Go Faster tariffs to see how they might fit in with my future usage, although they are no longer as generous as they once were.
Glad to hear your DIY battery project has proved a great success - your detailed descriptions have been very interesting (y)