Solaredge Battery

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel52

Reaction score
I have recently had installed a circa 4kva pV array with Solaredge optimisers and inverter. On order since August I also have an EDDI and Solaredge battery on order but so far not delivered. No idea when this will happen.

Three questions please:
1. I had expected to see the output of each panel particularly with optimisers as the array is split across two roofs but can only seen total output and nothing which says what is being exported or used on MySolarEdge App. My supplier says I can’t get this until my battery is installed. Not sure why? At the moment I have no idea how much my PV system is saving me.
2. I heard recently that Solaredge batteries would be offering grid independence like Tesla Powerwall by end of 2022. Has anyone heard anything about this?
3. The whole installation was more than I budgeted for; and given that the battery is about 1/3 or more of the cost should I stick with it or cancel that part of my order?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Three questions please:
1. I had expected to see the output of each panel particularly with optimisers as the array is split across two roofs but can only seen total output and nothing which says what is being exported or used on MySolarEdge App. My supplier says I can’t get this until my battery is installed. Not sure why? At the moment I have no idea how much my PV system is saving me.
The free MyEnergi App that works with EDDI will show you power distribution to/from grid, from solar and whats being used by your house and immersion.

Like this:-

myenergi.jpg

This is showing a time when Octopus were doing a free power hour, hence why everything was coming the grid :)

2. I heard recently that Solaredge batteries would be offering grid independence like Tesla Powerwall by end of 2022. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Not quite sure what youre meaning by grid independence. If your meaning the system will still power your house during a grid power cut, most if not all systems can do that now. If youre meaning having a storage solution that can be controlled by power companies then no, I havent heard anything about that. Tesla power wall has a special tariff available to users from Octopus for example but Octopus control when the powerwall charges and discharges.

3. The whole installation was more than I budgeted for; and given that the battery is about 1/3 or more of the cost should I stick with it or cancel that part of my order?
Definitely stick with the battery, they are crucial to making most savings with the system. My system was installed at the end of April and it became apparent very quickly that a lot more savings could be made with more battery storage. My system came with 7kWh and I have just added another 14 kWh making 21 kWh total.

Thank you for any thoughts.
Youre very welcome, keep us updated.

The free MyEnergi App that works with EDDI will show you power distribution to/from grid, from solar and whats being used by your house and immersion.

View attachment 14690

This is showing a time when Octopus were doing a free power hour, hence why everything was coming the grid :)

Not quite sure what youre meaning by grid independence. If your meaning the system will still power your house during a grid power cut, most if not all systems can do that now. If youre meaning having a storage solution that can be controlled by power companies then no, I havent heard anything about that. Tesla power wall has a special tariff available to users from Octopus for example but Octopus control when the powerwall charges and discharges.

Definitely stick with the battery, they are crucial to making most savings with the system. My system was installed at the end of April and it became apparent very quickly that a lot more savings could be made with more battery storage. My system came with 7kWh and I have just added another 14 kWh making 21 kWh total.

Thank you for a very comprehensive answer , much appreciated and reassuring.

View attachment 14690

One part of the question you answered that I don't understand is how the battery comes into play in the event of a grid outage. My supplier says this will not work which I don't understand.

One part of the question you answered that I don't understand is how the battery comes into play in the event of a grid outage. My supplier says this will not work which I don't understand.
Every inverter I have seen has an emergency output or EPS, this can be wired to a socket or to a changeover switch. During a powercut your house is isolated from the grid with the changeover switch and the inverter would feed the house or in the case of the socket, essential items can be plugged into the socket and powered via an extension lead etc.

Latest posts