Split supply in maisonette

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOB

Reaction score
My son has the upstairs of a maisonette. His supply comes up from downstairs as shown in the photo. The downstairs owner had some burning type smells recently and called in his supplier who suggested splitting the supply or fitting a 100A fuse instead of the present 60A.
To me the supply is split, but I assume splitting it before the main fuse is what he means and having a second fuse. Assume this would cost quite a bit.
My current concern is the supply to upstairs is fed from the main fuse via rather skinny cable and cased in copper pipe. Does this comply with regulations or is exempt due to age?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Cheers.
John
IMG_0548.jpeg

It's not copper pipe, it's MICC cable
It has a much higher current rating than normal cable
Having said that it's as rough as an MPs browser history and the termination should be enclosed
Let's see who claims responsibility for the cable . I've seen DNO,wash their hands of this type of cable as there are not many people who cannot work on it AND parts are scarce if it's not metric

Last edited:
As Kerching says, its rather rough, but I'd add that its not unusual, round here there are quite a lot like that, feeding flats above shops that were installed in the 50s and 60s.

Looks like your supply does have its own fuse, so thats good, but if there is a burning smell, its not due to how the supply is installed, or what size fuse is there, there will be a connection thats getting hot which needs finding and addressing (its posisble it could be in your neighbours CU rather than the distribution equipment), it sounds like the DNO chap couldn't be bothered....

That's a split service fuse head made by Fluvent. In the trade "a Fluvent" was used to describe a 6 x 4 x 2" box that went between the meter and the head, a bit like a piece of trunking. They very rarely got refitted as the meter gibbon couldn't be arsed