Storage heater advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electrician popped over tonight, there is a fault with the thermal cutout. He is going to price for part and labour.

is it the kind of thing i could do myself? How would the part come? As the whole unit with the thermostat, or less?

Thanks guys :)

you could fit one yourself, not too hard to do, but i hope youre not using him for free advice to tell you whats broke and then fit it yourself
That would be harsh! He is doing some rewiring in my kitchen too, i just wanted to be able to gauge how much he was charging for his time compared to the job etc

Yes let the guy supply and fit it.

As I rather suspected it was the thermal cut out. Although in theory most can be reset, I have encountered at least 2 that failed to reset and had to be replaced.

Hi all, the electrician has been able to source the thermal cutout, was a little tricky, and come back with a price of £143 + vat to supply and fit. Does that seem reasonable? I have no idea.

thanks, martin

Hi all,

A storage heater in the hall of the place i’ve just bought isn’t working.

it is a Dimplex SH12 439356 Series B.

In the electrical test, the electrician said power is going into the heater correctly. When I adjust the input/output dial i can hear clicks so possibly the thermostat is working? 

I have set input to max and there is no heat coming out at all.

is there a way whether i could test ifit is a faulty thermostat, or whether it is something more serious, i.e will need replacing?

Thank you,

Martin.

PS how do you get photos small enough to attach on here?!
Be careful when opening up storage heaters some old ones CONTAIN ASBESTOS

Thanks John/Kerching,

I had the thermal cut out replaced and it lasted 2 days and it went again, so there is some other fault causing it.

Spark’s advice was to replace because of age and difficulty diagnosing, so that is something for the near future.

regards,

martin.

Latest posts