Stripper And Crimping Tools For Cable 25 Square Mm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zillah

Reaction score
Hi Experts

I work on installing a network rack that has power cable 25 square mm or 16 square mm.

Right now I am using two tools , one is a shear cutter to cut and strip insulation and other is a crimper (to crimpe cable lug) that I borrowed from friend of mine.

I am looking to get one tool (quality lasts) that does stripping and crimping

Regards

Hello Zillah. :Welcome:

What type of cable are you talking about ?. Is it steel wire armoured (SWA) ?

I've tried various gadgets over the years for stripping/ terminating/ crimping cable. Call me old fashioned but I feel a stanley knife is a beautiful piece of kit !. As for crimping, if its 25mm or above nowadays I just use a hydraulic crimper, ahh it's a fantastic tool to use, so easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a network rack I suspect it will be flexible stranded so agree that best stripper will be a stanley knife 25mm lugs not neccessarily need a hydraulic but nice if you can get one. I have a big crimper that goes up to 120mm and can be put in a vice for easier operation.

..........25mm lugs not neccessarily need a hydraulic but nice if you can get one. I have a big crimper that goes up to 120mm and can be put in a vice for easier operation.
I concur, call me lazy but once you've gone hydraulic you're hooked, it does a beautiful crimp, I liken it to driving an automatic car after years of driving a manual (although I currently drive a manual).

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats wrong with a stanley and a heavy duty crimp, seeing as we are all talking about staying in shape? ;)

Thanks guys for your support

This is the type of cable that I am using

http://i50.tinypic.com/29c1kw2.jpg

29c1kw2.jpg

amlu,

I suspect very good for tails, 6491 etc, but the OP seems to be using tri, which is very fine stranded.

I used to work for a client that had their own "real" electrical engineers, & they would do walk around inspections whilst we were installing.

Almost all of the wiring was flex/tri type, i.e. fine stranded.

If they saw an installer not using a "proper" wire stripper on a wire end then they would demand that the end was cut off and dissected to see if it had missing strands, oh and yes they WOULD count them!

So, I'm in a habit of using dedicated wire strippers on fine stranded!

The penalties for finding missing strands could be as severe as rewiring the complete machine, 1000's of m of wire and weeks of work, loosing the contract, personally being banned from site etc.

So effectively your job was on the line.

Severe, but client spec, so you have to live with it.

Oh just realised, your first post, welcome to the forum.

Please go and introduce yourself in the introductions forum so we can get to know you?

ATB,

Thanks guys for the inputs

Please go and introduce yourself in the introductions forum so we can get to know you?
Will do it, thanks for remind me

Latest posts