Sy Flex Glands...does Anyone Know Where I Can Get Them?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently did my AM2 and I passed everything except the main install (I ran out of time!) All i had to do was wire up 2 valves and I was done but unfortunately the timer went off. I had never used SY cable before and I think I spent too much time trying to terminate it.

I have 10m of 1.5mm SY Flex at home and I was planning on practicing on it but I need 1 or 2 glands (the proper ones which have slots for the braiding)

My local Edmundsons and Denmans do not stock them! I have seen some on TLC but they are like £15 for a pack! I only want 1 or 2! Does anyone know where I can get them from?

I brought some from Eyre & Elliston. They probably are not the best ones as when I did some SY they were a real pig of a job to do.

I see you're avatar is for the Canaries so does that make you're local Edmundsons the Norwich branch?

We are located within that business and i am sure we could help out with the glands you require, also any test equipment related stuff.

Canoeboy said:
Jeez, must be different to my local CEFs, ask for an SY gland and they give you one of those plastic stuffing things, useless for SY, maybe why i see so many braids taped up  :innocent
Thats mainly because it looks like city have moved into the domestic market, ask for any industrial stuff and its never in stock!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look here for some helpful advise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KanAlDcAi08

I use standard swa glands (external types) with the same outcomes. One side of the cut steel braiding is passed under the two collars the other one over, but the correct sy glands are easier to use.
Awesome Vid will be subbing :D might sound silly but maybe yellow page local spark and ask them if they got any.

Canoeboy said:
I think i need to do a 60 second TEF video using proper decent SY glands, Without the chat could be done in 30 seconds......

And i disagree with a Knife and Snips

Proper SY Stripper and SY Scissors is far better, Then again what do i know.....

I just watched the whole video, Whilst i have never seen or used one of those glands - They have to be one of the worst SY earthing glands i have ever (thats EVER) seen in my life :slap

When i get time i will do a proper how to gland SY cable video / gallery (photos) sort of stuff
well said Canoe, did you see him using the w/pump pliers the wrong way round, if it takes this long to do one gland I'd given up and gone for the stuffing glands, I have tried them in the past but now only use the correct ones  (SKINTOP® MS-SC-M).

well said Canoe, did you see him using the w/pump pliers the wrong way round, if it takes this long to do one gland I'd given up and gone for the stuffing glands, I have tried them in the past but now only use the correct ones  (SKINTOP® MS-SC-M).
will say as its educational he is probably going slow on purpose. i did think it was slow tbh. only took me 10mins first time i did swa in workshop and had to wait to share equipment. never done sy flex looks easy enough but just a bit of a pain. do any of you guys have any good links to vids not for anything in particular but as im learning i like watching how diff people do things and how to do things that we wont be doing in col anytime soon. but as not to hijack ill start a new post

If struggling to find SY glands why not get a couple of the correctly sized Brass. TRS glands and fashion a couple of slots with a hacksaw? It has removed me from the carp on a few occasions. Minds you I had an angle grinder, 1mm thick discs and some brass washers

I am not saying it is correct but it is better than nowt

Just sawing...

Cheers guys! @megger mark I tried Edmundsons in Norwich and they didn't have any.

I got some from eBay in the end!  £9 for 2  :C   Oh well. I need them anyway! That video is good :)

Latest posts