T&E in conduit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman1973

Reaction score
I watch a of the videos on you tube and noticed a few garage/workshop installation in 20mm pvc conduit. Great idea and looks smart. But then they go and run t&e in it and end up doing extra runs and having to use connectors. Why are they doing this and not using 6491X. Just after your thoughts on why they would do this? I'm going to be doing my garage soon and that's going to be conduit and 6491X, seems the obvious choice.

Most of them a unskilled house bashers who don't know any different.

I watch a of the videos on you tube and noticed a few garage/workshop installation in 20mm pvc conduit. Great idea and looks smart. But then they go and run t&e in it and end up doing extra runs and having to use connectors. Why are they doing this and not using 6491X. Just after your thoughts on why they would do this? I'm going to be doing my garage soon and that's going to be conduit and 6491X, seems the obvious choice.

Youtube is full of wannabe TV stars who know very little if anything at all...

So basically it has an abundance of absolute rubbish advice, from people who are just after Likes Clicks Subscribes etc. etc..

Last edited:
Ah, YouTube wannabe sparks! Usually wearing a baseball cap, 20 Plus apprentices with their own channel, toolbelts all over the place, new tools, fecking stupid looks of horror on the front screen of their pages. TW@dom at its finest. Probably using twin as they have not got singles, don't understand singles.
Sockets 2.5 ring
Lights 1.5
Cooker 6mm
Shower 10mm
Tails 25
Earth 16
Water 10

Everything else is "illegal"
Course completed, pay the money, get the logos

My shed/workshop/mancave is wired in T&E in trunking , with 6radial circuits on RCBOs , it's also fed in 16mm 4 core SWA , :ROFLMAO:
Simply because it's the stuff I had closest to hand when I was doing it, and an extra socket got added whenever I hadn't got one where I wanted it.

It's also got a combination of "normal" 13a sockets, schuko sockets and commando sockets, as well as satellite and hard wired internet

And, it's not a very big shed,,,
12'x8' :cool:

There's a good reason they do that. I've seen on a few sites T&E or FP inside conduits so it looks neat where visible to the eye, then as soon as it gets up in the ceiling it runs on a basket, to go to a DB or wherever needed. That is something you can't do with singles. Singles will need containment throughout from point A to point B. So whoever uses this method is saving money on containment, don't know about youtubers though.

There's a good reason they do that. I've seen on a few sites T&E or FP inside conduits so it looks neat where visible to the eye, then as soon as it gets up in the ceiling it runs on a basket, to go to a DB or wherever needed. That is something you can't do with singles. Singles will need containment throughout from point A to point B. So whoever uses this method is saving money on containment, don't know about youtubers though.
Yeah I've seen it with just the vertical drops done in conduit and everything else clipped. I understand the need for a then, but there was one I saw where it was fully enclosed in conduit and he used t&e.

I regularly run flex, aerial and speaker cable in white conduit to tidy up TV and AV installations. Presumably I’m doing it all wrong

That's fair enough as there isn't an alternative. But there is an alternative to t&e, which is probably cheaper and also easier

I am afraid to say most of these YouTube monkeys know no different. To install a complete conduit system and then try to run T&E through it is ridiculous but these are the only cables they are aware of. One of them the ex plumber idiot reconnected some swa cables and left the armour with no earth he just used stuffing glands, this is the level of their competence and he had to return after all the comments it received.

Latest posts