Table Lamp dimmer question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanuso

Reaction score
I have a table lamp from Germany and the rotary dimmer stopped working. The physical switch's mechanism feels fine so I'm not quite sure why.

I tried opening the bottom compartment, thinking there might be a dimmer part inside, and saw that there are three wires plus Earthing.

I'm quite confused as to how this lamp was wired... I thought dimmers are usually connected on the Live wire?

Also, is it possible to fix the original dimmer without taking the whole thing apart? If not how should I wire it with dimmers in the market?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_8397.jpeg
    IMG_8397.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8396.jpeg
    IMG_8396.jpeg
  • IMG_8395.jpeg
    IMG_8395.jpeg
  • IMG_8393.jpeg
    IMG_8393.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
You are going to have to get the old dimmer out to be able to find the correct replacement part anyway

Wiring looks like standard live and neutral, with the third wire being from the dimmer to the lamp

It's not designed for led lamps, only incandescent.
I would guess that if you disconnect the wires and unscrew that nut visible under the base then the column will split to release the dimmer. It must be small, or an odd shape though so good luck finding a replacement.

Incandescents don’t dim with this lamp now either and I’ve been meaning to replace it with a dimmable LED bulb.

Yeah at this point I’m probably gonna just add a led dimmer on the cord.

May I ask why there are three wires connecting the lamp? Most lamps I’ve seen use this wiring (as attached)

Attachments

• IMG_8397.jpeg
    IMG_8397.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
Incandescents don’t dim with this lamp now either and I’ve been meaning to replace it with a dimmable LED bulb.

Yeah at this point I’m probably gonna just add a led dimmer on the cord.

May I ask why there are three wires connecting the lamp? Most lamps I’ve seen use this wiring (as attached)
thats what you've got, just cabled via the junction box in the base.