The New Electrical intallation Condition Report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
Hi Gang- :)

firstly, my apologies if this has come up before......but i shall start anyway...

In the old PIR form there was a code 4 situation for something that was wrong, but not worth fixing. A classic example of this would be the old wiring colours.

In the new EICR this code 4 does not exist.... Now, if i was doing this job properly, I must snag red and black wiring as it is no longer listed in table 51 (In the big green book). following on, the least stringent code is C3 (improvemnet required)- that would mean rewire or sleeving required- a big job whichever way one goes

I am confused, can the forum help me out here:worship

best wishes

Alan

I can't answer you question Alan, but I will say no need to apologies as I don't think this has come up yet. A very good question IMHO.

Doc H.

are they now saying that something that doesnt comply with the current regs, but is NOT a danger, no longer requires coding?

and merely a comment?

seems very strange to me.....

still, it might well stop the FWFW from having 6mm bonding on TNS down as a 1 ,

or lack of RCD on TNCS,

every time!

As somebody pointed out yesterday [ and I paraphrase this slightly ]

What fricking chance have we got as meere Elektrishuns if the powers that be cannot even get the wording on the spine of the BGB the same as the words on the front of the same fricking overpriced overrated ill-thoughout comic FFS????????????

Bunch of fricking half-ar$ed to$$ers if you want my ill informed and , dare I say it?, touch bigotted overview of the situation having been doing the job for the past 35+ years!

.....and No , I have actually had a really really good day to be honest............. :coat

Think they finally relised that most installations would not comply with the current version of the regs due to their age when carrying out a PIR/EICR.

Interesting canoeboy,

It sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me.....

I think the IEE/ IET have dropped a clanger and the ESC have decide to adapt the book to their own ends.

If this is as canoeboy says, would the job be reportable. if it was wired in say yellow and black? What I mean is, how 'wrong ' does it have to be before it really is wrong!

I like your thinking doctor,

can something wired before the 'regs' existed still be deemed as ok?

how can we actually tell a client if something from 60 years ago is actually from 60 years ago, and not 100+ or simply drunken bob from the pub last week if we are not allowed to code it anymore?

Oh dear,

Just turned over the page to 402 (The generic schedule of test results)

If I were unfortunate enough to be doing say an immersion heater in an elderly lady's house, I would pop a.....

'B' in column 4 (type)

'16' in column 5 (rating)

and so on....

my gripe is that in column 3 (BS(EN)) i have to shoehorn in 6-0-8-9-8

not very good is it?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:51 ----------

Here's a link to the ESC guides,,, the EICR one is number 4, issue 3Best practice guides : Electrical Safety Council
Hi Nozspark,

I would not like to appear to be a ranter, but everyone should read the leaflet about replacing a con unit with unearthed lighting circuits....... consider this ad lib version....

go to change unit

find no cpc on lights, advise customer of unearthed metal fittings etc,

customer says 'up yours dude- no rewire'

nic ' commercial pressures' kicks in....

do ' risk assessment' by touching metal lounge fitting , outstretch arm and do circles in room....if no contact is made with earthed metalwork we are good to go!!!

change unit

buy and fit warning nic warning sticker to make it all pretty.( not free stickers)

issue EIC with small problem of missing cpc as 'departure'

customer sells house 3 months later, new EICR jobbie done. the circuit has to have a big 5.8 ( is there cpcs fitted)- STRAIGHT C1- not negotiable really

And we thought it was just the qualification side that was being "dumbed down" to allow the wonkies scam us out of work.......... Now we find that the regulatory reforms that were designed to assist said wonks in filling out a form ticking boxes, isn`t exactly "fit for purpose" either!

I think that, certainly in some circumstances, the coding, and indeed ensuring compliance, is going to be harder than it was before.

Albert: if you honestly believe it`ll help with undersized bonding codes, you`ve drunk too much of the paddle-pusher`s vin rouge. I think that, in many cases, they know (and don`t CARE) that the code is inappropriate - they just want to get work. Once its ripped out & replaced, its too late to argue a case.

Its all starting to slowly circle.........it`ll get quicker as we move towards the middle, before we finally get flushed down the pan of idiocy and bureaucratic nonsense.

KME :coat

edit: Doc: what`s an "Intallation" :slap

Latest posts