Timber Framed House

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davyp1

Reaction score
I would like to add an outside mains socket but I came across this statement on the B&Q website...

Modern timber-framed buildings

You can't bore a hole for a cable through the external wall of a modern timber-framed building. This is because the interior cavity is filled with insulation material and contains a vapour barrier, which you mustn't break.

See...

http://www.diy.com/help-ideas/how-to-add-an-external-power-supply/CC_npcart_400162.art

My house was built in 2015 and is built with timber frame, Kingspan insulation and a vapour barrier.

Does this mean an outside socket cannot be added to my house then ? Or is an alternative method required ?

Impossible to answer on an internet forum , in my view anyway.

But my opinion is,

Nothing (well almost nothing) is impossible, it just depends how much time , money, effort, and more money you want to put into it, 

There are a few things wrong with that statement.

Firstly you should NOT fill the cavity between a timber frame and a brick or blockwork skin around it with insulation, it must remain as a ventilated cavity, otherwise it can lead to serious damp issues with the frame.

Depending on the age of the build (and quite possibly where it is built, Scotland builds better timber framed houses than much of the UK) it may or may not have varying levels of insulation within the frame, and it may or may not have a vapour or airtightness membrane.

The best way to determine how it is built, is to remove say a socket or a light switch AFTER TURNING THE POWER OFF, remove the back box and see what you see.  If there is some form of membrane, usually on the inside, then as stated go ahead and drill a small hole, then seal around the membrane where the cable comes through. Proper airtightness tape is about £20 a roll so it's hard to suggest what to use as you only need a tiny bit.

EDIT, just re read the original post. If it has a layer of Kingspan, very often that is used as the vapour barrier just by taping the joints with aluminium tape, so just tape the cable where it comes through with aluminium tape to the foil of the kingspan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have a timber framed house with a brick outer skin. I think there may be some confusion about the OP where it was said that INTERNAL cavity had insulation.

I have that and the internal cavity is that between the inner wall/plasterboard and boarding at the back of the timber frame.

So, based on my place going from the inside out it's _

1. plasterboard
  2. vapour barrier
  3. insulation between timber uprights (internal cavity)
  4. plywood
  5. external cavity
  6. brick skin
There are a number of places where we've had to go through the walls for wiring and extractor fans etc. The key is to seal up the vapour barrier as best you can as said in other posts. In the case of cables this is best done by putting a piece of conduit through the wall and sealing around that.

Cheers

sthe ehind the paleryinternaleoriginal t 

Hi,

I have a timber framed house with a brick outer skin. I think there may be some confusion about the OP where it was said that INTERNAL cavity had insulation.

I have that and the internal cavity is that between the inner wall/plasterboard and boarding at the back of the timber frame.

So, based on my place going from the inside out it's _

1. plasterboard
  2. vapour barrier
  3. insulation between timber uprights (internal cavity)
  4. plywood
  5. external cavity
  6. brick skin
There are a number of places where we've had to go through the walls for wiring and extractor fans etc. The key is to seal up the vapour barrier as best you can as said in other posts. In the case of cables this is best done by putting a piece of conduit through the wall and sealing around that.

Cheers

sthe ehind the paleryinternaleoriginal t  :C

Latest posts