TRIMBLE NAPIT import issues *.BAK. *.ZIP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerching

©Kleenex™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
I'm presently running a trial copy of NAPIT fasttest

I am trying to import my legacy database from Trimble/amtech BUT the napit software is looking for Trimble *.BAK files and my Dropbox backup files,are *.ZIP

Can I just change the file extension or is that a 💩 idea?

Has anyone experienced this issue/resolved it?
I can phone them on Monday

Yeah, I know, TRIMBLE/Amtech !
But I have about 15/20 years of certs that I need to access/use for EICrs so I'm sort of stuck with it...unless anyone on here knows differently?

Have you tried unzipping the zip files to see whats inside?

Changing the extension will only work if the software is expecting a zip file that has been given the BAK extension (while possible, probbaly unlikely). What file format does the new one store its database as?

While a lot of file extensions are sort of standardised as to what file type they refer to *.BAK is generally just something thats used to refer to a backup of anything, and they are likely to be the same filetype as the program normally usees, but renamed to a *.BAK to differeniate the backup versions (unless the program does something special with backups - which is a possibility) so *.BAK doesn't really tell you anything about it on its own

Have you tried unzipping the zip files to see whats inside?
I'm not that brave at present😂😂😂😂
I'll try to find where Trimble stores the backups and see what they look like. I use the default Trimble backup that loads every time you load the prog. All the accessible files are my own backups to USB stick, cloud, Dropbox etc. Can't see the point of having backups on the same machine/device as the prog! Lose one lose all😱😊

Support were busy. A ticket has been raised. He called me today but I was working on a BFO live panelboard. Call arranged for 10 tomorrow and going to try it over team-viewer. It sounds like it cannot cope with the amount of data it needs to transfer...probably 25 years worth! I only really need the last 5 years or so

I will report back tomorrow