Ubuntu (Zorin) Won't Recognise Firewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have an pc with an Asus M2N-E SLI mobo with single, on board Firewire 1394 port. Have two MiniDV camcorders with Firewire out. Now then, with the old pc running XP Pro it would see either camcorder and I could import and edit via the Firewire port. Have rebuilt the pc with a new SSD and it's running 64-bit Zorin 8.1 (Ubuntu based).

The pc will not see either camcorder and I've tried another Firewire lead. Nothing happens when I plug the camcorders in, zilch, nada!

Anyone?

Cheers

I imagine the FireWire needs a driver. Have a look at the mobo installation disk or manufacturers support /download pages. I fear there will be no Linux support so you will need to check the mobo manual for the FireWire chip numbering and then hope someone has published a driver ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening, I've found a set of "Linux" drivers on the ASUS site for this particular mobo. Have downloaded the .run file below:

Screenshot from 2014-07-14 17:36:35.png

But..............must admit I still struggle running stuff from the command line. To me with all the cd\ and md\ it's a bit like DOS but not quite! Can anyone point me as to how to "run" the .run file. Have Googgled it a bit and come up with this:

Screenshot from 2014-07-14 17:42:00.png

But "what" exactly do I I type etc to add the .run file? 

Cheers as always!

(Got a Firewire PCI-ex card that I'd hoped would fit in my boy's Win7 gaming machine - but his damn graphics card is so BIG it covers the only expansion slot where the Firewire one could go!)

Latest posts