Western Digital Personal Cloud Devices Hack Attack....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep getting an e-mail telling me my Cloud account is full, but I can extend my storage at a small fee before they close my account and I loose all of my stored data, funny I don't have a Cloud account?

I keep getting an e-mail telling me my Cloud account is full, but I can extend my storage at a small fee before they close my account and I loose all of my stored data, funny I don't have a Cloud account?
Is that a Nigerian cloud.....😃

Sorry to say this is the issue with being reliant upon technology for everything. Someone else can always take control of it.
So stick to basics and involve the least amount of ‘others’ to anything that is remotely important to yourself.
I have never understood why this so called intelligent species is so hung up on relying on others, aren’t we capable of doing and thinking for ourselves anymore?

Keep your money under your mattress, your important documents in your home safe, and your keys away from the front doors.

???????

I have a WD my cloud home but I don’t like the Plex software I use it for media storage and play, would anybody reccomend a Synology is it easy to use and play media

I have a WD my cloud home but I don’t like the Plex software I use it for media storage and play, would anybody reccomend a Synology is it easy to use and play media
I have a Synology DS2413+ with a DX1211 expansion unit.
I use this as a NAS, an email server, (if you have your own domain and its registered with a domain registrar), an NVR, & media server.
I have just done a major re-configuration of the unit, so it's not in its final state yet for any use.
I was using the Synology media apps.
Son-in-law no. 2 suggested Plex as a media server as it will serve media outside your LAN/IP Pool, which the synology apps will not, they are not designed to.
But, Synology do offer a DDNS system, which is how the WD hack was realised, though.
Now there have been reported issues with Plex, my son keeps up with these things.
There is Jellyfin, Linus of Linus Tech Tips on YouTube uses this as his media server at home.

I have found the Synology to be great, it's OS is based on Linux, I use mine in their own proprietary SHR-2 mode.
I have 6 IP cameras, though it will take more. You must have a license for each camera you connect.
I also run a mail server on it, at the moment, just two accounts, but it has handled 8 accounts previously, until I did a rationalisation on my emails.
Synology is a business grade solution and was recommended to me as easy to use and setup, you don't need to know Linux it's all controlled via a GUI which is well created.
As yet, I have not had the chance to set Jellyfin up, but Plex was easy to set up.
Jellyfin runs via Docker, so it might be a little more complex, but there will be YouTube tutorials on it for sure!
The Synology media servers work fine, there is even a dedicated MAC/iTunes media server.
e
You also have 2 x USB to connect external devices, I have my WD Elements 2 disk RAID1 box connected to one.
Once set up, this WD will be my last chance backup, I will have my data on OneDrive, on the main Synology unit, on the expansion unit, a RDDI1 in my tower case, and the WD Elements unit.
All the duplication of data will be handled by the Synology in almost real time.

It only gets turned off for mechanical maintenance such as cleaning.
I also have it fed via an APC (Schneider) UPS, sized to give enough power to shut down and connected via a USB where it tells the eunit it has lost power and to commence the shutdown sequence.
Once power is restored the Synology unit then powers up again, this is all configured via the Diskstation Manager, the GUI.

One last comment, a recommendation, use server grade hard disks, I have been using until now WD old, yes they are more expensive, but, they are more reliable, my NAS runs 24/365.

As you can tell, I am very happy with my Synology unit! 😂😊👌

Latest posts