Which PV & grid energy monitors plus PVOutput

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman22

Reaction score
I have since 2014 been using an Eco-Eye https://www.eco-eye.com/solar-power-products monitor for easy display of pv and grid energy updating every few seconds on a IHD. There is a serial output to which I have an original Rasperry Pi with just power/ethernet/usb to serial lead & an SD card with an OS and script that I had no input towards that sends the data to PVOutput.
While this in the main has been working fine, a few times recently its failed to output the data to PVOutput and I wander round like a headless chicken, headless being the key word as this has no screen or keyboard so I fumble.
The CT's data is wireless which with all the other wireless stuff these days gets you considering if the data is getting blocked, then sometimes the SD card seems to crash, replacing it with a mirror of the original fixes it until next time & recently the usb to serial lead seemed to have a bad connect on the tiny 6 pin connecter socket to the eco-eye. How do you test for that!

Anyway my point is that this is now 9yr old kit and its probably outdated though very convenient when working. What would you recommend to replace it with to give a visible grid load/solar PV generation/sum of both & give an output to PVOutput?

HA seems a choice & its benefit might be Inverter data integration but its homebrew and I'm not sure life is long enough for me to learn what looks to be complicated scripting.

HA seems a choice & its benefit might be Inverter data integration but its homebrew and I'm not sure life is long enough for me to learn what looks to be complicated scripting.
I had about 4 attempts with HA failing every time, I just couldnt get my ahead around the workflow. After watching quite a few Youtube videos implementing various items I finally got my lightbulb moment and never looked back, it's a brilliant, flexible and reliable piece of software. It costs you nothing to have a go with it, it will detect much of what is available in your house and there is usually most items covered on the net for items it hasn't detected.
Have a go, you really wont regret it.

I read that John, thinking you had found the holy grail and the link to this marvel would appear in the text, then I got to the end, re read it and oh no you mean HA ;)