Whoops!.....think We've Killed The Boy's Laptop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does that apply to me to Canoe?

If so, how to I retrieve my MAC from my lock-up as it is uninsured there along with 2xPC's & a Field PG, comms cables etc., just realised I've left them there & I've now had a few beers.

Worried.Com!!!  :pray

Iv officially left the windows and gone over to apple, got sick of having nothing but problems with windows7,  i had a dell inspiron 1545, age 12month and 1 day the hard drive failed frying the sata cable, and the motherboard, had to argue with dell to repair it for free and even threw the sale of goods act at them etc,   it came back more or less with brand new internals...

was very weary about using it after that but i persevered with it...   iv had Acers in the past and they do run a bit hotter then others not sure why etc, most Acer Laptops run off an 85w Charger pack where others tend to be on a 65w so not sure if that would make any difference.

I can highly recommend the Mac Book Pro :D  Graphics and Resolution is amaaaazzing  
and,

if you need to know why MAC are so good,

its cos they copied the very best OS there is, and added a premium price tag for all the bells and whistles.  :D

LINUXUbuntu is the future for me without a doubt! On it now. Firefox dead good. Had a play with Libre Office and got Draftsight too. AND ALL GRATIS!!!

and,,,,,,,,,,

a helluva a LOT cheaper than that other *nix OS that canoey uses,.........   :D

plus, none of the windoze issues.

on the down side, there are some driver issues with certain printers etc, mainly the cheap ones that depend on the OS to actually run them,

but, better manufacturers have their own memory installed, or release the code to Linux for them to write drivers, [HP in particular are VERY good for this] they actually have their own Ubuntu driver for their printers.

HPLIP is in the software centre if you need it.

How annoying?

Had the boy's Acer laptop repaired 1st July. He switched it on Saturday evening, 6 day AFTER the 90 day warranty on the repair ran out and same fault seemingly, black screen, fan runs for a few seconds then stops. Guessing the GPU again. The REALLY gutting thing is that he hasn't run it since without it being on a Cooler Master U3 cooling pad AND he's only used it for a couple of hours each Sat & Sunday evenings (he's on his main pc the rest of the time).

This may have been asked before ?? 

Does  your son play 3d games? 

They are a real killer, a while back I wasted an acer playing total war  :^O

:put the kettle on
He mainly used it, since it was repaired for watching YouTube & downloaded videos.............so I guess fairly GPU intensive? His Grandad has offered to buy him a new laptop mind............................saw a nice Toshiba in Costco:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.2,cos_1.2.2/153813?utm_source=emailFY14P2W2a&utm_medium=Top-1&utm_term=153813&utm_campaign=emailFY14P2W2a

BUT WINDOWS 8!

Seriously though he can live without I think. Has his gaming desktop, tablet & phone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah GPU heats up really fast in a laptop playing games and video!!!

Also had a vaio with nvidia card and the solder to the inverter went had it fixed but didn't last long. not had much luck with laptops & thats why I went mac, 2 years and still rocking even if its covered in baby milk for some reason??  headbang

Toshibas are okay and windows 8 will soon revert to xp but you probably got the bases covered with the other bit of kit he has :) you could always get it fixed again and run linux on it ;)

They all have their benefits as they all have limitations, I have 5 machines currently with W8 and never had a problem, 3 laptops and 2 desktops, also have a machine that has Ubuntu and W7 on it again with no problems.

I like the mac's but not the price.

My site laptop is an ancient Dell Latitude CPX running Windows 2000...........swappable 3.5" / CD drives, RS232 port etc. I just can't seem to kill the thing! Used for Movitools, PanelView, MicroLogix etc.

Dropped it from 5m with a USB stick sticking out the side. Snapped off the stick and knackered the one USB port so now running with a card port one. Cracked the case. Got a spare shell from the then IT dept and swapped the guts over. Still got original screen and HDD. Fan no longer works. It just keeps going. I think it may also be submersible!

Was offered another one but I said why bother as I'd probably drop that too!

Latest posts