Wired Burgular Alarm With Option To Have Fob To Arm/disarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey5

Reaction score
As the title says really. customer wants a alarm fitted and would be easy to a wired one in and preferable, but she would like, as well as a keypad, a fob that has a button/s on to arm and disable, abit like a car key rather than a fob you hold against.  I have seen a wireless alarm with a fob (hold against) but not a wired one. 

sure theres something out there, and one of the members has used/seen them.

I normally use Honeywell, veritas or scantronic, so could possible be a add on available.

cheers wayne

Tell her she doesn't want it. Problem solved. :^O

The reason is, you do not know for sure if the alarm is set, or not, despite the fact you pressed a button.

Most panels now have a proximity fob option, if an alarm calls the police (I know this one won't) it has to have a prox fob to set / unset the alarm. But you can also fit them to "bells only systems" all the big panel makers make them.

The reason is, you do not know for sure if the alarm is set, or not, despite the fact you pressed a button.
Not necessarily. Pyronix for instance do 2 way wireless so it pings back a status update to the fob and confirms that the system is set via the led flashing green. You can also query the panel (after programming the buttons as required) and the LED will flash red/green for unset/set.

ok, that is one that does. I have yet to see others that do.
There's loads of ways of achieving it, even with 1 way wireless. Set a pulsed output to trigger something to show it has set, turn on comms and then use the open/close signal.

You should not use anything that is outside the protected area to indicate the alarm has  / is set, because if you can see it so can anyone else.

Yes you can make an alarm send open / close signals but then you need a phone to call to find out, and if its raining are you really going to want to make a phone call or look at your phone to see the alarm is set.

There may be others too, but the question is do you really want to know that the alarm is set via what ever method when you can easily listen as you leave and so not have to spend on something extra.

The easier an alarm is to use the more chance the person will actually use it.

You should not use anything that is outside the protected area to indicate the alarm has  / is set, because if you can see it so can anyone else.
I'm aware of that, I wasn't suggesting a big set/unset illuminated sign outside.

Yes you can make an alarm send open / close signals but then you need a phone to call to find out, and if its raining are you really going to want to make a phone call or look at your phone to see the alarm is set.
Then use another method, I was just pointing out that there were ways of achieving this as you said there weren't any.

There may be others too, but the question is do you really want to know that the alarm is set via what ever method when you can easily listen as you leave and so not have to spend on something extra.
I have just said use a pulsed ouput to signal that the alarm is set, but you have dismissed it and said that the user needs to use a keypad and fob so they can listen to the exit tones? Put a sounder on the pulsed output as I suggested and it is the same thing.

The easier an alarm is to use the more chance the person will actually use it.
Yes, so remote fob is easiest, prox tag is tied in second place with using a code.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating we use remote control fobs for alarms as standard, all mine are prox, a couple have RF fobs for various reasons, some are tied into garage doors etc so the alarm is unset as the door is opened etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts