Yet another example of shady retailing .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I have to help the  missus  with the  weekly shopping  these days  I'm noticing stuff more & more .

I hate the feeling that we are  being ripped off .             Did shopping yesterday ,  one article was a bottle of  ASDA  brand bleach  , placed it in the downstairs loo next to the previous bottle which had a bit left in it  and noticed that what I thought was the same item was in fact very slightly smaller .  Closer inspection revealed the older one was  1 Ltr   , this weeks was 750mL  with the bottles almost identical .  

Now obviously I understand a commodity or article being sold by the litre  with the  choice of , say a half litre  , people's needs being different  , but this seems to happen with quite a few things .

Colgate toothpaste does one very slightly smaller ...instead of , say , half the size , and they appear in the same position  on the shelf.  

Trouble is I don't know what we paid previously but am now starting an investigation, I shall be keeping the receipts .      Fairy liquid  I think is another .

Also learned today that Thornton's chocolates are produced as their own brand  plus Lidl & Aldi brands too , but half the price.             

Super glue  !  Super glue !!   Now your talking ....a tiny tube in ASDA containing about 0.0002 of a fluid ounce  costs about  £ 300  ....a trade pot in Toolstation  with about 50 gallons  in @ £2.50 .  

Just having a rant !    Well Kerch does it !!  

What you are talking about is known as Shrinkflation.

Most supermarkets also display the price in small letters as  pence per litre to make comparison easy.

Now if you want cheap, go to Lidl or Aldi.  We regularly shop there in bulk for the items where we are not bothered by brand name, e.g Towergate Rich Tea biscuits about 30p, McVities in the big supermarkets over £1

Pricing in the major supermarkets is all smoke and mirrors.

Items on offer are balanced by increases on other products.

And the local stores are worse ..... Fine for the odd product but not multiple products.

they should bring back the weights and measures legislation wiped out under Thatcher, where by a jay of jam was 1 Lb, a packet of crisps 2 oz etc etc. Standard sizes of products, would make pricing truly 'transparent' instaed of this always shrinking non-sense.

I see it , related to our trade as .....  the usual drum of cable @ 100 mtrs      then they have another drum  on the shelf ,almost the same size drum but 80mtrs .   there would be no point ...100m   & 50m  makes sense . 

I see it , related to our trade as .....  the usual drum of cable @ 100 mtrs      then they have another drum  on the shelf ,almost the same size drum but 80mtrs .   there would be no point ...100m   & 50m  makes sense . 

The way we'd have to do it is...

You just go fitting sockets closer together...

e.g.

The olden days.   customer asks for a couple of sockets 3m apart...

You fit 3m apart...

Toady...   customer asks for a couple of sockets 3m apart...

You fit 2.25m apart...

And charge for 3m!!!

:innocent