Telford Tornado Stainless pressurised tank. I might need a new expansion vessel

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
AS the title says.

I have a Telford Tornado Stainless steel pressurised hot water tank, and I need a new expansion vessel.

It's the 200 litre tank, indirect heated. The expansion vessel is inside the top of the tank.

I haven't taken the lid off yet to look (waiting for SWHMO to empty the airing cupboard so I can remove the shelves) so I can't post the sizes or any other data from the tank yet.

Assuming (likely) that I do need a replacment tank, where can I get one from. A quick google reveals plenty of people selling the complete tank, but I've not yet found anybody listing spares for sale.

If the correct internal expansion vessel turns out too expensive, would just fitting a new external expansion vessel be a viable option? If so what size expansion vessel for a 200L tank?

Would think that pressure tank will need OEM replacement part, to comply with MFRs warranty. Further, as it is part of the safety system of the tank, I`d be replacing the whole thing (mind, my expansion unit is external....).

I`d speak to a heat engineer qualified in unvented storage, as they`re potentially deadly..........

KME

The instruction book does describe the expansion vessel as a replaceable part. They say it simply unscrews from the top of the cylinder. So from that I take it there's just a (probably tapered) thread on the cylinder and the corresponding opposite one on the expansion vessel.

The problem is they don't give a part number or details of this thread and as I say, googling does not reveal anyone listing it a a separate part. I've not yet tried contacting plumbers merchants.

I'm certainly not replacing the whole cylinder for the sake of an expansion vessel, even if it means fitting an external one.

By the way there were two different versions of this cylinder, the Tornado that I have with the internal vessel, and the Tempest is the same cylinder but has an external expansion vessel. I wish I had bought that version now.

Incidental, I think I've answered my own question on the expansion tank capacity. If I had bought the tempest version with an external expansion vessel, it would have been supplied with an 18 litre expansion vessel.

On the tempest, they instruct you to tee the expansion vessel into the cold water feed after the pressure reducing valve.

So if an OEM replacement for the internal vessel on my tank is too expensive (I can get a separate 18L expansion vessel for

speak to the manufacturers the cylinder has a lifetime guarrantee, which may mean the expansion vessel could come into the guarrantee, the other parts (immersion etc) only have 2 years but the cylinder is lifetime!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

sorry forgot to add link

http://www.telford-group.com/

speak to the manufacturers the cylinder has a lifetime guarrantee, which may mean the expansion vessel could come into the guarrantee, the other parts (immersion etc) only have 2 years but the cylinder is lifetime!---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

sorry forgot to add link

http://www.telford-group.com/
Good point. However, for now at least it's holding pressure, so no need to be replaced. Will certainly give that a try if it does lose pressure again.

Same problem has happened again, but this time I know I need to replace the expansion vessel.

But the documentation with the cylinder does not tell me the capacity of the expansion vessel.

The tank has a water capacity of 200 litres, but nowhere does it say the capacity of the expansion vessel.

And are they all the same fitting, or will it have to be one specific to this tank?

The expansion vessel just screws onto the top of the water tank and is supported entirely by the pipe fitting it screws onto.

Just to answer my own question.

My friendly local plumber called in this morning and removed the old expansion vessel and confirmed the blader had ruptured.

It's an 18 litre expansion vessel with a male 3/4BSP fitting on the bottom.

Ne expansion vessel now fitted and all back to normal.